586,096 active members*
3,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Booting Issues

Hello, My name is Chad and i'm having a serious problem with the Mazak Super Turbo-X510 Mark II, 4K Watt CNC Laser machine i have been operating for almost 2 years now. Im not sure if i'm using the right terms but i will do my best to explain my issue.

Normally, after pressing the Power On Button on the machine when i start the machine in the morning, on the preview screen (the screen on the machine itself) you would see it start to boot up like any computer does. It continues to boot up until it gets to the Mazatrol "Control" screen, the main screen you use to operate the machine. However, the booting process is stopping at what appears to be some from of a Linux Operating System and does not boot up the Mazatrol program/file/control screen. Now, i am not sure if its as simple as finding the program on Linux and starting it just like you would a program on Windows. I don't know if its that simple or if there is something else going on here, but again... i am stumped.

I called Mazak and they suggested to hold down the "ctrl+d" keys while the machine is booting up, but that has done nothing so far. They said if that did not work that its probably a bad hard drive and i would need to place a work order to have it replaced, which was estimated to be somewhere around 5,000 dollars to have done. I can't fathom it being an issue with the hard-drive though, because i can still access files (Through the Linux OS) that are on the hard-drive. But that's why i am here, anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thank you in advance.

More info

Here's some more details on my issue.

It appears as though the Laser has a UNIX/LINUX based OS (Operating System) installed on it that runs a GUI (Graphical User Interface) known as GNOME. Normally the Laser would boot up the OS, and then boot up through GNOME GUI, straight to the Mazak User Interface, which I believe is referred to as the “NC Unit” which more specifically is called “Mazatrol Preview”. But for whatever reason, the laser is only booting up to the GNOME GUI, and so far I have not been able to locate the file while browsing the Unix/Linux OS to launch the Mazatrol Preview manually. Which brings me to my question: Would you or any of the Mazak Service Reps happen to know the specific name of the file or name of the program that is used to install and/or launch the Mazak GUI/Command Screen? Perhaps if I knew the exact name of the file or program I would have better luck finding it.

Solution

Well, we never did figure out the problem and instead Mazak ended up coming out a replacing the hard-drive in the Machine. It was their belief that it was in fact the hard-drive going bad that was causing us problems.
    So for anyone who runs into this issue in the future it looks like you pretty much have to bite the bullet and pay to have the Hard drive replaced. If anyone else DOES come up with another solution please share it.

Thanks