586,043 active members*
3,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question stepper voltage

Need to know if I can use different voltage motors on same machine. Retired and cant afford to buy motors. I have three strong enough motors , but one is 12 v, one is 24v, and other is 34v. Can I use them ,All the same # of steps per rev. To be used on unimat lathe with an added milling head.

Generally speaking, the answer is 'yes', but it may depend on the details of the drivers that you plan to use with the motors. If each motor has a separate driver, then there should be no major issues (although if you need multiple power supply voltages, you will have to make suitable arrangements, for example, with separate supplies or one supply with multiple outputs). If you have a single, multi-axis driver, then typically all of the motors would need to share the same power supply (voltage).

It might be helpful if you can provide more information about the motors and about the drivers that you plan to use with them. Depending on the specifics of the motors and your drivers, the voltage that you use for the motors may differ from the "nameplate" voltage.

the 12V I could not find any info on, but it runs good on 12V. the 24V is a Matsu****a IHHS-457CH 24v 26 ohm 1.8 deg/step. The other Step-Syn 103-770-3541 , 34V 5.1VA 1.8 Deg/step. Had them running on a simple 7486-7474 driver. I can make a sep. board for each , not a prob. Was thinking of using about 60V power sup. and limiting current.

Try Matsush1ta. That will defeat the dirty word filter, stupid thing.

For stepper motors, Gecko uses the maximum voltage as 32 times the square root of the motor's inductance. This is an empirical rule of thumb.

If you have different motors on the same power supply then use the lowest motor inductance of the motors connected to the same power supply. If you don't there is a possibility that you will overheat the motor with the lowest inductance.

Reference: Support