586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach and SprutCAM issue

I posted this on the SprutCAM section of the forum, but it is so lightly viewed I thought I would try here.

I have SprutCAM and a PCNC1100. Love the machine, the software so far stinks. Case in point is the attached files. GEMLikeBracket.stc is a part that I was able to make this week first time, no trouble. (honestly, this is the FIRST first time no trouble project EVER with SprutCAM!).

CINBracket.stc is pretty much the same file with a couple of changes. This file has two slots in it that SprutCAM won't pocket. These exact slots are in the first file as well, and worked just fine. The files were generated using Alibre CAD.

I am using SprutCAM7 Pro, Build 1.5 rev 45534

If you are a SprutCAM person, would you mind downloading these two files and see if you can get SprutCAM to pocket the slots in CINBracket.stc? I am trying to determine if this is a bug in my install, or if this is a general problem.

Thanks
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kevin,
    Try using a endmill smaller than the slot.
    Carl

Good thought. Slot is .264, mill's attempted are .25, .1875, .0625

Plus, exact same .25 tool from same library used on the first bracket and worked great.

Progress was made. New drawing of this part, exported as a STEP file, imported into SprutCAM and it worked. Now I can make my part. However, given the amount of time I spend fussing with SprutCAM, I still think it is a bug.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
    I posted a response over at the SprutCam section of the Forum.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

I tend to just assume that anything in SprutCAM that doesn't work the way it seems like it should is the result of a bug, and I then attempt other means of accomplishing my goal until I find something that works. This seems to yield the most productivity for me so far.

After upgrading SprutCAM some of these bugs seem to get fixed now and then.

What version of Alibre? I have seen posts on their forum about IGES export issues in the 2012 version (this is what Alibre exports to Sprutcam).

I'm using 2012 and I have not seen issues yet, but it appears to be related to how you create your model in the first place (i.e. draw a profile and revolve it vs. start with a solid and revolve a cut).

Just a thought....