586,461 active members*
3,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Considering BobCad-Cam with Haas and Solidworks

Considering BobCad-Cam with Haas and Solidworks

Hi,

I am a complete newbie at CAM software. I have an R&D shop with two very experienced machinists that have been making great parts for me with a manual Hardinge lathe and a Bridgeport EZ track mill. I just took delivery of a Haas TM-1P mill and ST-10 lathe. I was thinking that we could do the programming conversationally, but that will not quite cut it for the mill.

Our products are not too complicated from a machining standpoint. They are blocks with holes and threads, valve seats and solenoid stems etc. There is no complicated surfacing. The design work is done on SolidWorks and NX (mostly SolidWorks). We already have solid models for all of the parts. the machinists know some G-code and we have a few guys that write code directly for production parts.

I want CAM software that I can run from the SolidWorks environment and not too hard to learn. BobCad-Cam may do the trick, but it sounds like it is cheap to buy, but lacks support. From researching the Haas and SolidWorks websites I fond that:

Mastercam
    Gibbs CAM
    Esprit

May also do the trick. Bill BobCad-Cam work for me? Any pros or cons on any of the above packages? Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Joe

Maybe attach a couple sample parts here you would like to see in BobCad? You can also download a demo of the "BobCAM" product, which works in the solidworks environment..

Hi
    I use bobcad for even vomplicate Parts. On an 3d Mill. The lathe Parts will follow. I tested DeskProto cut2d cut3d mastercam sprutcam.
    I think that bobcad has it issues but does the Job it is an ok Balance between cost and what you get. I draw using turbocad ...
    It you need an 4th Axis i would suggest something else like sprutcam or Visualmill
    It you would have 4 Thema Axis and one fulltime employee (like in the countychoppers in the TV Series) you can consider mastercam
    So give US an example and we see what is best.
    So thats my 5 Cents
    Cu
    Thomas

We do support our products, we have support till 7pm and we will always get back to you in the same day that you call if it is within the normal business hours of 8am-7pm

I do all kinds of very complicate parts using Bobcad V24. When I checked the difference on price between Bobcad and Mastercam, I found out that I can buy Bobcad and still have enough left over money to buy a used machine. I never called the tech support because I am the type of guy that will spend all night if I have to so I can figure things on my own. So far, I ndidnt find anything that I can't do for the mill in V24. Besides the high price for Mastercam, I also didn't wanted to pay the maintenance fee every year, regarding that I need it or not.
    Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    Best of luck to you on what ever decision you make.