586,106 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

5x10 Build starting this week

Well the funds will be ready to spend on tuesday. That is goign to be a fun day of calls. Atached is the picture of the frame and Gantry mounted.

Frame will be all 2.5" 1/4 wall squar tube and be completly bolt together to make it easy to move.
    Hypertherm 85 from local welding shop.
    Linear rails for X and Y axis from Automatoin Overstock hiwin 30mm
    X drive will be Rack and pinion system from cncrouterparts.com undecided on y drive system yet.
    Rack will be from Moore gear
    Electronics from CandCnC.com plazpak1a is what thinking I will get.
    80/20 well know what i want just need to order it from somewhere.
    Z axis will be k2cnc.com 6"
    Few things I am confused about.

Timming belt sizing? no idea what the sizes are and which is used most the time on cnc plasma tables.
    flexable cable racks. Igus is the one I was lookign at but confused on how you get the length correct for your movment. May just oreder more then i need and find something to do with it.

I will be taking lots of pictures of the progress as it goes.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gantry on frame.jpg   Final assembly.jpg  

Good choice of electronics. I just retro-ed a table with a plazpak and the same K2 6" slide, works great. I ran out of money before I was able to get a new Hypertherm 85 and the new Hyt rs485 stuff from CandCnc. I did get the digital current probe and the remote pendant. Both are handy if you can get em. Hopefully a 85 in the near future!

The pics you posted show the linear rail facing up, if you can get them turned and below the slats it would be better for you. Less stuff to damage those nice ($$) rails.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Damage of rail was/is a worry. Think what i will do is a piece of UHMW cut to go over the rail that the loading and unloading will take place will keep it safe. Was also thinking of something like the way covers on VMC to protect the rails but that might be a pipe dream.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    Hopefully a 85 in the near future!

WSS

WSS, are you not happy with your 1650?

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy View Post
    WSS, are you not happy with your 1650?
    I am very happy with it. It is a very good working machine and consumable life has increased dramatically since the change to the new type of THC.

The new 85 (w/serial port and CandCnc's RS485 kit) has the ability to adjust amps and air psi from signals from mach3. It is new for the moment but I think CandCnc is working toward algorithms to control the 85 during corners or small holes moves and whatever else needs that type of adjustment. I think the macros or whatever is used will be transparent to the operator and just added to the cut profiles via a check box or some simple way.

Love the new controls BTW, lots of power and smooth motion.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

ugg what a day so most everything is orderd but the hiwin rail and steel.

cant wait to get started.

Gary

I really believe you will regret using profiled linear rail on the long or X axis for use with a plasma machine. I have found it next to impossible to keep plasma grit out of them. Also for a plasma table a sngle V rail down 1 side to get your tracking accuracy a simple cam follower or other ball bearing rolling along cold rolled steel or other straight smooth surface is all that's needed.

I have a table that gets 40 or more hours per week of use. The more simple V & Cold Rolled flat has worked for several years without any problems or for that matter, no maintenance, grease etc. Now the single profiled rail on the gantry is a different story. I can count on changing it out every 18 months to 2 years. & there is always grease there to clean off or get on yoour hands clothes etc.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

I still have not ordered my linear rails yet and am kinda thinking I may change my mind. May just go with the CR flatbar for the long runs. Will think more about in today or tomarrow. Everything else is ordered and on its way here.

Gary

You are absolutely correct Millman. I built my plasma table in 2001 with DuaVee rollers and track and I have had zero problems with it. High dollar profile rails really don't belong on a plasma or torch table.