For starters this is what I'm trying to do. I want to be able to prototype a small part about 3x3x2 from plastic and aluminum. It would be a 3D part so I'm assuming i would just flip the part over in order to mill the opposite side half way through. I want to convert a micro or mini mill to a CNC mill because this is my first venture into CNC world and I believe this would be a little easier then building a homemade machine. For a budget im trying to stay around $600 for the mill and then another $600 for the conversion for a grand total of about $1200.

Here are the mills im looking at......

MicroLux Micor Milling Machine - 84659

Proxxon MF70

Harbor Freight/Grizzley/Siag X2

My major issue with the X2 is the weight. I don't have a shop and i live in an upstairs condo so the smaller the better. Anyone have recommendations on what i should do? Links for turnkey kits in my budget for these machines?

Eventually I want to build a machine but the driving factor right now is prototyping this part so im trying to shorten the time to production. I'm also open to any high quality micro/mini CNC kits that could accomplish what im trying to do.