586,094 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > can i peel mill with tapered walls?

can i peel mill with tapered walls?

I have some 2" wide x 16" long 1" thick flat bars that need a 1.5" wide x 3/8" deep slot cut out of them length wise on the 2" face. This would be simple but the walls of the slot have a 40 degree taper to them. Can i do this using the peel mill? the reason i ask is that its open ended and its also extremely hard material, i was hoping to use trochodial cuts. Any other suggestions on how to do this easily, without trying to find a special 50 degree insert cutter

It sounds like you want to do trichordial cutting while doing a contour surfacing operation. I do not think MasterCam is set up to do this. Any reason you can't use trichordial cutting to rough the slot and then use your contour surfacing to finish it? What do you consider "extremely hard material"?

RC in the lower 50's, this stuff work hardens too. I only have mill level 1 as well. I can get a temporary liscense for level3 but would not have any idea on how to use surfaces for the tapered walls. Is it a big deal

heres a view of it to clear things up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  

I see your dilemma, but I do not have any easy answers for you. You can try writing a macro to do what you are wanting. Curious how you planned on cutting the bevel and ending up with basically squared corners. I think a horizontal mill with a profile side milling cutter is the way to go on something like this.

you will not be able to use peel mill as it will not see the taperd walls. I would use may be the HS surface opti rough to remove the stock the you can use a tapered EM to finish the walls or surface the wall with a ball then go back with a sharp EM and surface part way down to get the sharp intersection. just a few thoughts.Like I ask all the time what version are you using as then the options may change.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

If you had a few of these to do, perhaps a custom ground cutter would be more cost effective?

Using x5. I have only 4 to do. I screwed up with the angle it is 50 degrees on the part, so need 40 degrees on the cutter. I may try using a counter-sink as its 41 degree.

DO you have the file to share you are not going to get a 40 or 41 deg tool to make a 50 deg wall.
    SHare the model I will throw something on it in X5 and give it back. do you know what level of MC you have Level 2 or say Level 3?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I just have level 1, but my reseller offered me 30 days of level 3 free up to 3 times a year. I just thought maybe i could take advantage of it, and give this job a go. As of right now have a 2d cad drawing but I can probably draw it up easily in solidworks though in the next few days if that works? Also if it turns into a huge hassle, i can always get a manual guy to just tip the head on one of our machines and do it there too.

I would do a peel mill down the center and then wire frame toolpaths on the sides. Can easily be done with mill level 1.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyt View Post
    I would do a peel mill down the center and then wire frame toolpaths on the sides. Can easily be done with mill level 1.
    Yep, when all else fails there is always the old 2d sweep.

sorry been a way for a while, and heading out of town again tomorrow for another week. This job is still not done so im still gonna try and give it a go. Wire frame and 2d sweep paths? can you elaborate a bit. I will try and post a file as well, but probably not for a week or 2.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Hi Poster, If this is being cut on your Milltronics RH33, try using the tapered wall option in the conversational programming. toggle the option (F3 toggle) through the wall options till you get to tapered walls.

If on another control use the Milltronics to generate a basic program ( it will use parametric / macros in the "O" file) and then modify it to what ever control the machine has. Milltronics is about 99% Fanuc compatible so it will work on a lot of stuff.

Sportybob