586,043 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Shipping TM1... in 20' container?!

Shipping TM1... in 20' container?!

FOlks. I would need to ship my TM1 overseas in a little while and I have been contemplating about how I would do that. Technically it fits to the inside of a container but it is a tight fit. I was wondering if anyone can suggest what my shipping options may be?

I suppose I can crate it but shipping may be substantially more expensive in this case (non standard size).

Anyone had to deal with sea bound shipping of the machines? What precautions need to be taken (it will be a rough ride)?

Thx

Get it in a container. Bag the machine as best you can with plastic. Cosmolone/grease everything, and lots of desiccant. Saw pictures of a mori go to china, wrapped and in a container. Not enough grease or cosmoline in the tool unclamp area on top. Container leaked. Biggest rust mess I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Get it in a container. Bag the machine as best you can with plastic. Cosmolone/grease everything, and lots of desiccant. Saw pictures of a mori go to china, wrapped and in a container. Not enough grease or cosmoline in the tool unclamp area on top. Container leaked. Biggest rust mess I've ever seen.
    Definitely seal the machine as tight as possible as mentioned.

Not sure what type of "container" you are referring to, but as long as it is stable and protected, I don't see why it should be a problem. If in doubt, hire a pro to crate and protect it. Could be money well spent. Don't forget to insure it.

Good luck!

Shipping a TM-1

The first thing I would think about would be if it is better to simply sell the one you have and buy a different one where you are going. Shipping a 20' ISO container overseas (and back?) is not cheap and the risk of damage to your machine is real if great care is not taken to prepare it properly. Think protection from salt water and salt fog as mentioned by others, and also make sure everything is tied down securely. A co-worker of mine measured accelerations of up to 10Gs on a piece of scientific equipment he shipped in a container like this that was outfitted with accelerometers. The last thing you want is the whole thing rolling around inside the container for thousands of miles.