586,106 active members*
3,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need help on choosing/buying a decent CNC mill

Smile Need help on choosing/buying a decent CNC mill

Hi there...

I'm an apprenticing machinist in an Industrial shop in town where I live. We usually work with huge parts, have 3 massive Giddings & Lewis 4/5 axis boring mills, 4 large lathes, 1 CNC mill and one lathe, nothing small thou. I would like to start my own hobby/business outside of work as doing things in the shop can be in conflict of intrest, expecially if I profit from it =) then they'ld want me to pay engineering/milling time, and I feel I can do this entirely on my own... but I NEED a decent CNC mill with perhaps the option of a 4th axis. A mill that will hook to my computer, use G & M code produced by CAD programs, provide fairly precise machining/repeatability, handle decent sized peices, is well built and with proper care... will last a while.

I had a few mills I have looked into extensively... my budget is at MOST $8000.00 but I don't think I should have to spend this much. The machines I have looked into the most are CNC MASTERS Jr. CNC MILL/DRILL, Grizzly's G0519 & then adding a CNC conversion kit, and Tormach's P CNC 1100.

I'm not too keen on the CNC MASTERS jr. because it's a drill/mill conversion (sceptical about quality) and there's no dovetail on Z-Axis. The grizzle machine has a dovetail... but I would have to change screws and retro fit a CNC pkg myself... not that I probably am not capable... but I'm not that brave... The Tormach CNC 1100 I really like.... ball screws (good ones), large table size and weight cap., looks well made (iron casting solid frame), oiling system, R8 collar for tooling, and seems to handle a decent assortment of G & M codes & programs. I read some controversy over the motors they used.. but I'm not in a rush for jobs to be done... if my work load picks up... then I will think about upgrading.

I was hoping someone who HAS one of these mills, or has used a PCNC 1100 would give me some insight as to what I should expect.. the company looks relitively new (2002) and only offers a 6 month warranty. $6800.00 US is a lot of money considering I'm from CAN and that's about $8000.00 delivered to my door. It's like buying a car from a new car maker you know nothing about...

Thank you people, any help is appreciated.
    Derek

The Tormach's CNC 1100 looks very nice to me. I have not scene one but everything I have read gives it good reviews. For the price point not sure how you can do much better. I have been seriously considering one for my home hobby shop as it appears to offer so much for the dollar.

Cnc

Hi Derek. I'm a supplier of CNC's. Please send me an e-mail with specifications and I'll be happy to send you a quote.

Best regards,

Ernie
    eee.cadforjewelry.com

If you enough space for a bigger machine why not try and find a deal on one of the smaller Haas machines used? I have a TM-1 and it is a very nice machine for the money... but $8000 won't buy a new one.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I've just bought a PCNC1100 including 4th axis and it should arrive this week.
    Where are you located?

Seig X3, converted to CNC

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiCho
    The machines I have looked into the most are CNC MASTERS Jr. CNC MILL/DRILL, Grizzly's G0519 & then adding a CNC conversion kit, and Tormach's P CNC 1100.
    Have you consider a Seig X3, and converting it to CNC?

You can see what one looks like at:

http://www.lathemaster.com/SIEG%20X3...%20MACHINE.htm

There are some people that have converted it to CNC at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster

Since you are in Canada, shipping from the USA is pretty pricey. I looked into what would be involved in ordering one or two directly from the manufacturer, and you'd save a few hundred dollars, but spend a bunch more time. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Canada are you in? I'm in Southwestern Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville
    The Tormach's CNC 1100 looks very nice to me. I have not scene one but everything I have read gives it good reviews. For the price point not sure how you can do much better. I have been seriously considering one for my home hobby shop as it appears to offer so much for the dollar.
    Hey Burnsville..

It is a decent chunk of change... but any CNC mill it seems (even conversion kits + mill) will run you upwards of $5000.00 US ... It deffinitly appears to have lot too offer... I love the capacity and ZERO-Z tool change features. Keep me posted if you decide to get one. I don't think I'll have the money to drop on a mill till sometime in the spring/summer of 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by expotec
    Hi Derek. I'm a supplier of CNC's. Please send me an e-mail with specifications and I'll be happy to send you a quote.

Best regards,

Ernie
    eee.cadforjewelry.com
    Thank you very much for the reply Ernie... I will try and get a list of features together ASAP that I deffinitly would want in any CNC mill I puchase. Hopefully you may be able to direct me too a machine I havn't seen yet or maybe have looked over. Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinWilkins
    If you enough space for a bigger machine why not try and find a deal on one of the smaller Haas machines used? I have a TM-1 and it is a very nice machine for the money... but $8000 won't buy a new one.
    Thanks Kevin, I'm gonna deffinitly look into that... I DON'T really have space for a big machine.. (but I will deffinitly try and -= squeeze in=- what ever I can, where ever I can... lol). One thing for sure is it MUST be a single phase 220 at most.... anything more will either require a $1500 converter... or $10,000 worth of SASK Power cable laying (no thank you, too rich for my blood). I DON'T want to put this in the garage as I feel more comfortable in my house, and it gets very cold where I live in winter (no heat in garage - this may change as I find I'm doing more and more work in there, radiant heat is looking good).

Thank you very much for the suggestion.. I've already started searching for used Smaller HASS machines.. as I know these are of good quality...

Quote Originally Posted by pstockley
    Where are you located?
    Hey pstockley that's SWEET !!!

I live in Regina, SK, Canada. I deffinitly would like to hear from you on how things go when it arrives. Where are you putting it? Have you started building a steel base for it or did you purchase one? And what type of work are you going to be using this mill for?

I'm sure your just as anxious to see it at your door as I am to hear about it... if you could stay in touch with me on things that would be great... Thanx !!

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_fred
    Have you consider a Seig X3, and converting it to CNC?

You can see what one looks like at:

http://www.lathemaster.com/SIEG%20X3...%20MACHINE.htm

There are some people that have converted it to CNC at:

http://groupyahoo.com/group/lathemaster

Since you are in Canada, shipping from the USA is pretty pricey. I looked into what would be involved in ordering one or two directly from the manufacturer, and you'd save a few hundred dollars, but spend a bunch more time. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Canada are you in? I'm in Southwestern Ontario.
    Hey fred... I'm from Regina, Sk ... I did look at this mill, I liked the features it had ecspecially the dovetail Z axys... this machine is re-sold by a few different company's Grizzly is one of 3 or 4... I saw a couple conversion kits.. could do everything for around $5500 ... but I gotta tell you... not having the experience with mills/fabrication that alot of these other people have makes me a little nervous about trying to do the conversion myself... Most of you and/or the people that are doing this have much more experience & knowledge behind you... I don't wanna end up fighting for a yr or so to make a $3400.00 cnc conversion kit work properly on my new mill, I'ld rather it be tried and tested.

If they sold it as a total pkg assembled with CNC and tested before shipping with everything I need but tooling, CAD software, and PC... I would be much more interested in the Seig X3...

Thank you thou for the suggestion...

Lathemaster model: ZAY7045L Mill just ordered

Hi Folks:

I thought I'd jump in even though I'm a newbie at metal working. I ended up last week ordering the model: ZAY7045L because the Sieg X3 models were back ordered. My original intention was to get a Shop Task Eldorado 3 way machine but those were back ordered too. I also figured I could get a dedicated 9 x 30 mill and this mill for about the same as the 3 way machine.

http://www.lathemaster.com/HEAVYDUTY...E%207045FG.htm

The only issue though is that while the shop task machine
    has a ready to go 3K CNC conversion kit -- I haven't seen anything tailor made for this Rong Fu R45 clone. Anybody out there know of folks or companies that are doing Rong Fu conversions to CNC?

Thanks
    bjl

Where are you located?

I've had my PCNC1100 for about three weeks now. It is very well made and looks tough enough to handle anything I'll throw at it for a long time. So far I've only cut a few parts on it because it took me a while to get it moved to the basement and have the 220V electricity run. (I wasn't expecting it till the middle of this month, but was excited that it was delivered early - just not prepared.)

I was also looking for a mill to begin a home based/hobby business on the side. I started out two years ago with a Taig CNC mill, and it was a good start, but not large enough to do what I wanted. I'm not sure how other companies selling mill/drill conversions at similar prices will be able to compete with this mill as it is definitely built for CNC from the ground up.

The control software is Mach2, which you may already be familiar with.

I'll post more info when I've had more of an opportunity to work with the mill.

Dave.

bjlsailor,

Check out Industrial Hobbies:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.industrialhobbies.com/
    It isn't cheap but it looks real good. Aaron even has a forum here on CNCZone:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=284
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by bjlsailor
    Hi Folks:

I thought I'd jump in even though I'm a newbie at metal working. I ended up last week ordering the model: ZAY7045L because the Sieg X3 models were back ordered. My original intention was to get a Shop Task Eldorado 3 way machine but those were back ordered too. I also figured I could get a dedicated 9 x 30 mill and this mill for about the same as the 3 way machine.

has a ready to go 3K CNC conversion kit -- I haven't seen anything tailor made for this Rong Fu R45 clone. Anybody out there know of folks or companies that are doing Rong Fu conversions to CNC?

Thanks
    bjl

Getting your feet wet with a Seig X1 (Micro-Mill)

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiCho
    Hey fred... I'm from Regina, Sk ... I did look at this mill, I liked the features it had ecspecially the dovetail Z axys... this machine is re-sold by a few different company's Grizzly is one of 3 or 4
    Lathemaster in the USA is currently the only company selling the Seig X3. What you must be thinking of is the Seig X2, which is also called the Mini-Mill, and which a bunch of companies sell.

Since you are a machinist, and have access to CNC machining equipment, you don't need to spend a ton of money CNC'ing your machines.
    What you could do, to get your feet wet, is buy an X1, a Micro-Mill, from Harbor Freight. You could learn on it. You could use Gecko's as your drives, when you are making your control box, because then that portion of your CNC effort could be used with whatever bigger mill you end up buying and CNCing.

There is at least one fellow that CNCd a Seig X3, while using the stock screws, and he's happy with the results.

We have some mills and a lathe from South West Ind. that have the Prototrak type control. Mills seem tough enough, convert my -g-code into its events without too much trouble, good travel, cat40 tool holders, not sure what we paid though...seems like $8000 was about it for the smaller one.

I will be using my machine mainly for hobby stuff, but having said that, I still have reasonably serious requirements regarding accuracy and ridigidty. I make parts for race cars and also steam engines.

I have owned a bunch of manual mills and the bottom line is bigger is always better. Once you've owned a bigger mill you won't want to go back. Doing reasonably serious work on the small mills just takes too long. I looked at getting a bridgeport but couldn't fit it in my workshop so it was out. If you have space, an old CNC machine is definitley the way to go. However, I haven't found one that weighs less than 4000 lbs and good luck getting it running on 220v. Also they are pretty massive for home use.

While the Tormach isn't perfect, it does have some big advantages over converting a smaller mill. Firstly, it looks very robust for its size. It has ground ballscrews which to me is a must. Especially if you want to make production parts to any kind of tolerance. I liked the fact it uses Mach as a controller. If the stepper's prove to be too slow or miss steps, I can always add some servos.

Anyway, until I use it in anger, this is all just theory. I am welding up a stand at the moment and will keep you posted on progress.

Where are you located?
    Hey there pstockley...

You must be the customer Greg Johnson was talking about from Ontairo that has the CNC 1100 on a truck right now being shipped to you. He said there are 3 of these machines in canada thus far... I'm waiting to hear back on a quote for (machine, shipping & taxes) delivery to where I live.

I've done some research on the Sieg X3 and others that people have mentioned in this thread, but all of them need to be CNC CONVERTED & a controller bought for them.

One gentelman in this thread mentioned that I could use the CNC machines at my shop to do work on and by a manual mill for now.... I wish that were true. Our machines are running almost 24/7 and the CNC mill is backedup by over 1000 hours worth of work... so I know I wouldn't be able to snag any time on it... the rest of our shop is backed up about 400-500 hours... kinda hecktic working at a swamped machine shop... but I'ld rather have work to do and OT avail then none at all...

I still think for the price.. this mill is the BEST option for me... and even if if does not work out or need to sell it.. I'm SURE it will retain resale value.

Looking forward to hearing from you once your making chips. =)

I'm having this one delivered tonight with the industrial hobbies kit to follow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bjlsailor View Post
    Hi Folks:

Thanks
    bjl
    Same mill, want to do the same thing, does anyone know of a CNC kit for this machine