586,096 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > retrofitting an air blast in place of mist

retrofitting an air blast in place of mist

I have an rh33 which has a mist coolant system wired in. Since i started using this thing i have never used the mist option but use "manual" (air gun) air blast daily. Can i remove the mister plumbing and run just direct air thru the solenoid thats already wired to the control and now have an "automatic" (fixed and controlled air blast) If not is it a big deal to install so i can use the control?

If the mist system was installed at Milltronics, the solenoid valve is inside the mist unit and you wouldn't get enough air flow to be effective. You can break into the wiring for the mist unit and use it for a different solenoid.

I have installed quite a few of these:

Valve, Solenoid, 1/8 In - Solenoid Air Control Valves - Valves - 6JJ53 : Grainger Industrial Supply

You will need a needle valve like this:

Needle Valve, 1/4 In NPT, 600 psi, Brass - Pneumatic Flow Control And Needle Valves - Valves - 5TUL2 : Grainger Industrial Supply

(or something like them)

Plumb this with a few fittings and some nylon tubing and it works great.

(I have no connection with Graingers other than as a satisfied customer)

ok i was worried about the size of the solenoid. I just happen to have a grainger down the street so these part numbers will work out perfect. Also i wont have to break into the control to get to the leads, which was my main concern. I guess i will just have to verify with milltronics that the existing solenoid voltage is the same 24 volts? Also is 1/8 npt enough volume for the solenoid? I was thinking 1/4 but am not sure

Thanks for the info

That solenoid flows about 7 cfm, more than enough to make a mess if you don't throttle it back with the needle valve.

Take a look at this way to blow the coolant and chips off parts:

Lang Chip Removal Fans - BIG Kaiser

Several of my clients use these fans and they are quite satisfied with how well they work.

I have done about a dozens of these and a 7 cfm solenoid with a needle valve is a little weak. It is more money, but this is what I recommend.

I use these grainger parts.
    24 vdc solenoid 4TR80
    Connector for solenoid coil 4TR68
    1/8" npt ball valve 1PZB2

There is a 1/8" npt tapped hole in the head casting to the right of the spindle to screw in the ball valve. You have to remove the head cover to access the to
    the other side of the hole, but it conceals your air line.
    The valve can be wired to the air blast output so you wouldn't have to disable your spraymist(if preferred). Depending on the age of the machine there should be terminal blocks for that. Check the machine wiring diagram.