586,058 active members*
3,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!)
Page 9 of 14 7891011
    Got it running today!
    Took me a while to figure out how I was going to handle the axis directions for mill and lathe. Then realized I was able to just change pins in config separably for both sides.

Also run some coolant doing a wash down to check for leaks and to see how well drain worked....all worked well until I wash down the cross slide. T slots makes for a great river bed,yes it was over the side and ran all over the floor.
    Need to think about that one.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I mill a 1" hole (be dying to do that) and after couple step adj. I was able to get a round hole!
    Will be fine tuning all day tomorrow and hope I can start figuring all this out.
    I will post some pics Sunday when my wife gets home from Vegas with my camera.

Been playing with MeshCam and a tiny bit with CanBam. Anyone have any thoughts on what to go with? CamBam seem very feature rich....but MeshCam is easy.
    So I guess the real question is will I outgrow MeshCam?
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Also run some coolant doing a wash down to check for leaks and to see how well drain worked....all worked well until I wash down the cross slide. T slots makes for a great river bed,yes it was over the side and ran all over the floor.
    Need to think about that one.
    Ha Ha Ha! Been there done that....I remember that cross slide well. I would use the lathe with coolant and be so fixated on the cut I was making that it would drip all over my shoes!

Without making a huge enclosure to capture all the coolant just make up an end plate with coolant return lines in them to direct the coolant back to the tray.

You've done a great job so far.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ninefinger View Post
    just make up an end plate with coolant return lines in them to direct the coolant back to the tray.

You've done a great job so far.

Mike
    Thats a good idea.

and Thanks
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Another update.
    All wired up and built a front coolant pan for previous problem. It is removable so I can get saddle off if needed. Plus it will give me a way to mount doors or shields of some sort.
    YES that is a copper sheet....I've had it here for 4-5 years so just used it to eliminate the need to order something.
    Been testing and learning everyday. YES I have crashed some part and destroyed couple cutters!! Thank god this thing will still stall when hit hard.
    When I get more comfortable with the settings,speeds,etc. I will order some nice tooling.

Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Here is the video for the tank ends.
    First part is where tank flew apart. I actually tore out the end before the video when I forgot to re-zero machine. The mishaps in the video is when I tried to save it! You can clearly see how well that worked out...almost hit me in the head. You can see near the end I was scared to turn up RPM and feed rate.

Enjoy my nightmare!!!!!!!! By the way I'm one the fourth tank as I had similar results with the replacement tank.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhlLKPtahHE]Destroying fuel tank - YouTube[/ame]
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

You really need to not grab the swarf with your hands. Someday the swarf will hook the chuck at just the wrong time and you had might get pulled into the chuck.

Use a tool of some kind that will let go if grabbed.

You are right about that.
    Plus I'm going to wire the e-stop to the VFD today.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Hello Fann,

I just recently acquired a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 46199 ~ 3in1 pretty much identical size to your machine about 3 weeks ago with the intent of converting to CNC (not anything close to your masterpiece, it is a true work of art). With that said, I have been doing alot of research on CNC conversion but could not find any informational or practical builds for this type of machine until I stumbled upon your post tonight. I have read up on CNC conversions and don't believe it is as daunting as I had origionaly expected. Anyway I am familiar with the company that you got the "Ballscrews" from but can you let me know what stepper motors you used for each axis and if your happy with them? I know you mentioned it eatlier in the post but not sure if you did use it, I was going heavier but don't want to if not nessesary. Also can you let me know what other vendors that you used and if you were happy with them too? If that is possible it would be greatly appreciated. Your posting was quite enjoyable to read and you gave me the inspiration to get the ball rolling ASAP so I can start "makin' chips".........

Thanks,
    Michael

Welcome to CNC Zone.
    As for steppers I went with nema 23 425oz on the X and a nema 34 640oz on the Z both run on 48 volt PSU. The 425 would probably also work for the Z but felt the 1/4" shaft was to wimpy. The X has enough power to stall the spindle belt...once you start programming you will learn how that's done!
    I still have yet to install the Z stepper but have all the parts cut and ready,for it I went with a 280oz on 36v PSU.
    Still not happy with the saddle gib as it constantly gets loose. I still plan on going with linear rails on both axis with homemade saddle.
    Been using the heck out of it without a hitch...other then a few crashes here and there.

Step one always remember to zero machine! For this reason I was running belt little on the loose side to help curtel damage. But finally tightened it up when I installed a 5" pulley to increase the RPM. In hind sight I wish I would have went with 3400 RPM motor.

Good luck and post a link to your build here so I can check it out.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

WOW that is cool, great job :cheers:

That mandrel you have for the inside of your part is probably the cause of your issues.

the 3 jaw cant touch that part at all it has to grip on the OD of your part so that it the pressure is on the tank not the mandrel. If you don't want it to collapse then you put the mandrel inside the part with the closest tolerance you can get and still get it back off.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Fannblade you have made some impressive progress!!! Your work is excellent.

Thanks I appreciate that. Finally took the time and install the Z stepper yesterday.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Need to see! I am planning on pulling the trigger this year to convert my machine. I've seen some good ideas for the round column mill.

Quote Originally Posted by zer0fighter View Post
    Need to see! I am planning on pulling the trigger this year to convert my machine. I've seen some good ideas for the round column mill.
    Unfortunately images are hosted on different domain and CNCzone doesn't allowed access to edit posts.......so guess it's dead in the water.
    I'm on a ton of forums and this is the only one I have found that locks out the edit button after 3 days.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Hi there again FannBlade.......and I know you're up to your tonsils with the other forums and your own one but are there any update pics on your build?
    Eoin

Not much to post about so far. I did do a run of parts last week.
    Crazy how all the new CNC terms now make more sense as I go forward.
    Like;
    Oil tramp....YUK!
    Speeds and feeds: Amazing how you just feel the cuts when cutting manually and how critical feeds and chip loads make such a difference when CNCing.
    Crashes: Damn the zero setting!

Looking at an old Hurco CNC mill I think I'm gong to pickup thing is in great shape and does run,but it's 3 phase and old cassete tape drive. Found a servo and driver conversion kit for $5500 then I can just use a VFD for the spindle.

I've been watching you way cover updates also!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2100047.jpg   P2110050.jpg   P2120054.jpg   P2120061.jpg  

P2140067.jpg   P2100049.jpg  
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Wow those are from your 3 in 1 cnc?

Yep. Pretty happy with the finish on the lathe side. Once I striped all the gears out of the spindle and replaced bearings all the vibration is gone. Roughing at .030 DOC 10 ipm at around 3500 rpm it will do more but the way I chuck the part I have to watch the side load.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Very nice. Where did you get the replacement motors from? The 3500rpm ones or are you just speeding it up through the drive?

Page 9 of 14 7891011