586,069 active members*
3,946 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm 45 giving me trouble !!

I replaced the nozzle and electrode on my machine torch after I noticed my cuts were not as smooth as they used to be.
    After 30 minutes of use (aprox 20 cuts) with the new consumables, the torch would no pierce anymore.
    What would happen is the torch would zero itself, go to pierce height and try to fire. I just get a flash from the tip, and the machine faults out. I removed the consumables and blew them out with air and reinstalled. It cut about 3-4 times and then faulted again.
    I was cutting real thin aluminum, and had an excellent ground.
    What could cause this?
    Also, should the nozzle and electrode be changed as a set?
    I could tell the old nozzle was worn out, but how can I tell if the electrode is still good or not?
    Thanks
    Dan
    The one that dies with the most tools, WINS !!
    www.dantechfabricating.com

Dan,

There is a section in your operators manual that describes how to inspect the nozzle and electrode for wear.

For most applications...the nozzle wears faster than the electrode due to piercing and blowback damaging the shape of the nozzle orifice. I generally use about 3 nozzles for every electrode.

The electrode wear is indicated by the depth of the pit in the end....when the pit is over a certain depth (listed in your manual....I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment) it will start to misfire. Often you can clean the end with scotchbrite and get some more starts out of it...but not a lot. If you feel the electrode is not lasting as long as it should....then you should look at your air supply.

-moisture or oil or any particulates will cause the electrode pit to wear more rapidly

- setting the pressure LED on the font panel of the Powermax45 higher than recommended will wear the electrode pit more rapidly.

-Lots of pierces wears the nozzle more rapidly....very long duration cuts wears the electrode more rapidly

-using aftermarket or knockoff copies of electrodes (usually indicated by low prices.....some actually have Hypertherm part numbers and name laser marked just as the genuine parts do) will result in lower life and possible overheating damage to the torch body....beware!

Hope this helps,

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I replaced the nozzle and electrode on my machine torch after I noticed my cuts were not as smooth as they used to be.
    After 30 minutes of use (aprox 20 cuts) with the new consumables, the torch would no pierce anymore.
    What would happen is the torch would zero itself, go to pierce height and try to fire. I just get a flash from the tip, and the machine faults out. I removed the consumables and blew them out with air and reinstalled. It cut about 3-4 times and then faulted again.
    I was cutting real thin aluminum, and had an excellent ground.
    What could cause this?
    Also, should the nozzle and electrode be changed as a set?
    I could tell the old nozzle was worn out, but how can I tell if the electrode is still good or not?
    Thanks
    Dan

Thanks Jim;
    The thing I'm most concerned about is the misfires I've been getting with the new consumables.They are genuine Hypertherm items that I got with the machine.
    I have a desicant filter right at the machine, so at the monment I'm ruling out dirty air.
    Thanks, Dan

Dan,

OK....I guess I didn't read that you were getting misfires with new consumables. Here are things to look at from that perspective:

- Do not overtighten the torch retaining cap...when it is too tight it can distort the swirl ring....which will not allow free movement of the electrode (electrode has to slide freeley to ionize the air to develop the plasma)

-Ensure that the air flow is set correctly. To do this turn the amperage knob fully ccw...this will activate the air flow. Adjust regulator until the front panel LEDs show the appropriate air pressure. Either too high or too low will cause misfiring.

-If the issue still persists after verifying the above.....replace (one at a time) the swirl ring and the retaining cap. Issues with flow or friction in either of these can cause misfiring.

If none of the above solves the problem...then there could be a torch or power supply issue. I would then suggest contacting Hypertherm tech service...let the tech know everything that you have done already (so they don't make you do it all again) and work with them to resolve the issue.

Jim Colt

Thanks Jim;
    The thing I'm most concerned about is the misfires I've been getting with the new consumables.They are genuine Hypertherm items that I got with the machine.
    I have a desicant filter right at the machine, so at the monment I'm ruling out dirty air.
    Thanks, Dan

Thanks;
    I will check those items.
    I had no idea that the electrode "floated"
    Dan

Another concern....there should be a particulate filter immediately after any dessicant dryer. These dryers tend to release some of the granules or powder....which can clog the internal filter in a plasma system. There are a lot of low cost dessicant dryers that tend do do this.....while all of the industrial (read more expensive) dryers come equipped with a particulate filter on the downstream side.

Jim

Thanks;
    I will check those items.
    I had no idea that the electrode "floated"
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Another concern....there should be a particulate filter immediately after any dessicant dryer. These dryers tend to release some of the granules or powder....which can clog the internal filter in a plasma system. There are a lot of low cost dessicant dryers that tend do do this.....while all of the industrial (read more expensive) dryers come equipped with a particulate filter on the downstream side.

Jim
    The filters I use are all in one. I use the same type when painting. They are disposable and are relatively inexpensive.
    Dan

I guess if they are rated for painting they must be ok. The ones I have seen issues with look like a piece of pipe (harbor freight) with no external filter...just a screen on the exit side.

Jim

I guess if they are rated for painting they must be ok. The ones I have seen issues with look like a piece of pipe (harbor freight) with no external filter...just a screen on the exit side.

Jim
    I know the ones you're talking about. We don't have Harbour Freight in Canada, but even I know all they sell is total junk. I stopped into one of their stores in Vegas because I heard so many people talking about it. I was expecting an awesome tool store, but walked out of there totally disappointed.
    I walked up and down every aisle, and I couldn't spend a penny. Even the air in there smelled like I was in China !!

I have purchased a few items from Harbor Freight over the years....often if you need a tool for one job that can be paid for by the job...then some of their tools are worth it. Two examples.....I had about 1000 pcs of 16 gauge sheet metal parts that needed a 90 degree bend......very simple. I bought a 36" sheet metal brake for $99 with free shipping to my door. It woked perfectly for the job....and I still have it tucked in a corner for occasional use. I do not understand how they could make it in China, ship it to a California warehouse....then ship it to me in NH for $99....it weighs about 80 lbs. The second good example was when I was building a horse barn for my wife's horses. I needed to drill 50 or 60 holes in concrete for various anchors and brackets....I ordered a hammer drill for $19.95, again free shipping....it failed on the vary last hole.

Jim Colt

I know the ones you're talking about. We don't have Harbour Freight in Canada, but even I know all they sell is total junk. I stopped into one of their stores in Vegas because I heard so many people talking about it. I was expecting an awesome tool store, but walked out of there totally disappointed.
    I walked up and down every aisle, and I couldn't spend a penny. Even the air in there smelled like I was in China !!

I have purchased a few items from Harbor Freight over the years....often if you need a tool for one job that can be paid for by the job...then some of their tools are worth it. Two examples.....I had about 1000 pcs of 16 gauge sheet metal parts that needed a 90 degree bend......very simple. I bought a 36" sheet metal brake for $99 with free shipping to my door. It woked perfectly for the job....and I still have it tucked in a corner for occasional use. I do not understand how they could make it in China, ship it to a California warehouse....then ship it to me in NH for $99....it weighs about 80 lbs. The second good example was when I was building a horse barn for my wife's horses. I needed to drill 50 or 60 holes in concrete for various anchors and brackets....I ordered a hammer drill for $19.95, again free shipping....it failed on the vary last hole.

Jim Colt
    I guess they have their purpose.
    Here in Canada, there's no such thing as "free shipping", and that $99 bender would be $150, even though our dollar is at par with your US currency. I wish they would get rid of the border sometimes, because everything up here is way too expensive. This morning, regular gasoline was selling for $1.26/ liter, which is $ 4.76/ us gallon. Super is $5.23 !!:boxing:
    Dan