586,043 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Column gibb is binding on g0704

Column gibb is binding on g0704

This is my first post so go easy on me.

While trying to follow hoss's YouTube of how to tram in my new g0704 I was having terrible deflection from locking the gibbs. Majority of the movement was from the lower one. Well upon tightening to see how much movement it was actually causing (.023) I think I over tightened it and now it is binding. I did not crank down on it but apparently applied enough pressure to lock it up. I have loosened the gib strips and that didn't help.

I am looking info before I pull the head and use a punch to get it out. Any other thoughts??

Oh and the tramming was going horribly.

I too have great deflection when locking the gibs, although I think it's reversed for me. I think my top lock causes more deflection than the bottom. I'm a novice, so I'm not sure this info will help, but I had a similar problem with gib strip binding, but mine was from over tightening the gib adjustment screws. I got past it by loosening the top gib adjustment screw quite a bit and then trying to run the head down. Since the gib strip comes out from the top, when you loosen the top screw and run the head down, the gib strip will likley stay in place at first while the head slides down. Worked for me anyway. May also want to try to get some lube down in there to help. I'd try to avoid using a punch on it.

-Kevin