586,913 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > FlashCut CNC > Flashcut/torchmate Signal Generator + ShopBot?

Flashcut/torchmate Signal Generator + ShopBot?

I have a 4 axis signal generator from a torchmate 2x2. The machine performed horribly after some time as a router only setup but i like the control system. Router and use was too heavy for the friction based bearing adjustments along with binding issues that even a new frame couldn't solve. I stripped it down and sold off the parts. All i have left is the signal generator an frame. Problem with the signal generator is one of the drives was blown. Testing the motors before i shipped them off, i didn't notice damage to the cable it after a spark the primary x axis channel doesn't work. I did notice on flashcut's site that they have a breakout board for the DB port and cable. Can i build a control box, preferably with geckos and a large power supply to run my 5x10 PRT shopbot. Add it to the system via a DB cable and breakout board. I know they also sell adapters to run other controllers via their signal generator. Which direction can i go and will it function properly this way even with a blown driver in the signal generator.

THanks
    Regards
    Randy

Flashcut and your signal generator (SG) should be able to run any motor driver out there. Is your SG one such that has the 4 drives right inside the SG box and a wall transformer ?, Or, do you have a second box with a power supply and drivers in it ?

If your drivers are internal to the SG, you should be able to pull those drivers out. There might be some slip-pin changes to make if you do so.

Once your back to having just a plain SG, you dont need to really buy any "kit" or breakout anything to make it work. Just make a new cable with a DB25 on the end that plugs into the SG, and the other to the appropriate locations on your drivers. All of Flashcuts pin configurations are WELL detailed in their manuals.

If you dont want to make up an entirely new cable, you can find a premade DB25 cable, one that has all the wires, and put a breakout board on the other end for easy connections.

Depending on exactly what you have there, You might be able to use the drivers that still work and just toss in a new one for the bad one, even if its a different brand.

One last question,... if you have 4 axis drivers, do you need all 4 for your shopbot ? Does it have 3 motors or 4 to drive ?

If we can hook up via regular email, I can send you some connection diagrams typical to Flashcut that will make things much clearer for you.
    Chris L

Thanks for the quick reply Chris.

I do have the installed drivers in the unit but they are limited to 1.5amp. I do not have an additional driver unit separate from the torchmate SG. Honestly i could use 5 drives for z,y,x,x and a for the fourth axis. The machine is a 60x120x8 Shopbot PRT. It'a a big beast with 2phase 70v 704oz Steppers running step and dirrection. They're geared 3.6/1 and run on a rack and pinion drive system. I bought the machine without a control box for $2300 including a 5hp 3phase columbo spindle. I couldn't use the spindle in my shop so it was sold for $1000. At the moment i've got $1300 into the machine but as always money is really tight without a working cnc in the shop.

Regards
    Randy

Ok, well, to my knowledge, there is no difference between SG's, just that at some point, they made the SG boards such that they could "plug-in" the drives you do have, PROVIDED that your SG does have a DB25 on the back of it.

So, I would explore removing those drivers, and then open up their hardware manual to see if by chance you have to reconfigure one or more of the small pin jumpers on the main board. It may not be necessary at all, as the pulse and direction may have been simultaneously available to both locations and in the case of yours, it just used the built in drivers because they were there.

Once removed, you simply need to configure a cable to plug into the DB25. Map the wires on the other end to the pin configurations they list in the manual and connect them to the new drivers. There are many ways to do this... but the bottom line is the pinouts from the SG just have to get to the motor drivers. Thru other plugs or breakout boards is up to what you want for a driver cabinet, and how it connects to the SG. I've built a few cabinets where the SG is inside the driver cabinet.

If you contact me thru the admin contact at Data-Cut.com The BEST CNC Router and Engraver PLANS !, I can send you some drawings. If it turns out that your SG will not be able to be reconfigured, I might be interested in what you have.... I always wanted one of the built in driver units for a small portable machine I have. First you have to figure out what you've got though.
    Chris L

Chris

Went ahead and sent you an Email.

Thanks
    Randy