586,655 active members*
2,923 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 11M axis overtravel

I am new to CNC, I purchased this older machine with a Fanuc 11m contoller, It worked fine when I first powered on so I know the control works, In my looking around the control one day I cleared all the work offsets and tool offsets. Now I am having trouble to figure out what value I need to enter. I have made changes on the G54 as well as the program but I keep getting either y or z or both overtravel. I know it is me that not entered something correctly but just not sure. any suggestions would be appreciated

you just need to set the G54 correctly.
    all this does is tell the machine the distance in X Y Z from zero return to the X0 Y0 Z0 position of the part.
    move the spindle to X0 Y0 on the job, origin the positions then zero return. put the numbers on the POS page into your G54.
    if you have MEASURE on your screen you can set it by putting the spindle at a position then type that position and press measure.
    for example if your spindle is at X0 just go to your workshift page, position the cursor on G54 X and type....
    X0 [MEASURE]
    do the same for the Y axis
    The Z workshift is usually the distance from the base of the spindle to the top of the job. then you put in your tool lengths in the tool geometry page H offset and the machine will read the tool length and move the correct Z distance.

It would'nt hurt to read up on basic CNC machine operation/setting/programming as well