586,058 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Is it me or is Ebay
Page 1 of 4 123

Is it me or is Ebay

Is it me or is Ebay getting ridiculous? I've been seeing a tread were people auction of a item or has a buy it now and the shipping is more than what the item is worth! You can by a item for 150.00 than they want 35.00 + for shipping at the price more than likely the item can be bought new. Ebay really needs to put a cap on this crap.

Why should ebay put a cap on it? It's the marketplace. People will pay what they think the item is worth.

I find stuff I want all the time that is listed for more than what I am willing to pay, so I don't buy it. A lot of times no one else does either.

So, it's not ebay, it's you.

It's a rip off, so no it's not me, it never use to be that way. Handling fee is one thing but over charging for shipping to me is another, your right that in the end it's the consumer that makes the decision to pay or not and yes it's a market place, and in the end I think Ebay will lose, I know I stopped speading A LOT of money on EBAY because of that, so in the end they will lose.

I understand your frustration, but your logic is flawed.

Ebay will not lose because the marketplace will correct itself.

If the prices are "outrageous" then people will indeed stop buying, but when that happens prices will be adjusted to a point where people will start buying again.

OR, if there are fools in the marketplace that are willing to pay these prices, then they will be the ones buying and we won't

Either way ebay wins. Welcome to capitalism...

Whatever, I'm DONE with Ebay. Flawed logic or not. Just needed to vent all done.

Remember, ebay doesn't charge fees on shipping charges so the incentive
    is to raise your shipping fees.

Quote Originally Posted by jseiler
    Remember, ebay doesn't charge fees on shipping charges so the incentive
    is to raise your shipping fees.
    Now that is a good point! Maybe it is something that ebay should look into.

Hello,
    Being that I'm and eBay power seller, I have auctioned off hundereds of items at $.01 and charged $15 for shipping!

The reason is there is no eBay commission on the shipping or the insurance! eBay charges a listing fee, an insertion fee, and then a commission on sales! If a buyer pays with PayPal, then there is a commission to them! And eBay owns PayPal!

The low starting bid and high shipping is the only way people can get started in eBay, as it takes over 100 positive feedbacks before your allowed to list using the Buy It Now feature! So by using low priced bids, it attracts people, then they leave positive feedbacks!

Hope this answers your question!

Eric A. A.

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    as it takes over 100 positive feedbacks before your allowed to list using the Buy It Now feature!
    Eric A. A.
    Is that a new policy? I have an 82 and have listed lots of stuff with Buy-It-Now...

It was set to 100, it may have been lowered! I have 1600+ so its been a while sence I've seen 100!

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster
    It was set to 100, it may have been lowered! I have 1600+ so its been a while sence I've seen 100!
    1600? Must not be under eaaenterprises like in your profile...

High shipping costs are very annoying. Ebay does try to list shipping costs in some places (watch list, for example) so ebay is trying to help, a little.

Frankly, I tend to avoid a seller that clearly is using shipping as a profit center.

But, it's not a reason to reject ebay, just that seller. This is pure capitalism, if you don't buy from the shipping gougers, they will lose business. If you take your business to the fair cost shippers, they will prosper. Send a message with your dollars...

I have seen auctions for 0.1c BIN and shipping $100.00, it just a way some get around ebay commision, but the item obviously has to be worth $100.00!!
    Another side of the coin, I have complained to some US sellers that ship to Canada that the US postage that the item arrives with is far less than they quoted me at purchase time, More than one tells me they got the price from the USPS online, so maybe there is some discrepency there between posted and actual??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    Is it me or is Ebay getting ridiculous? I've been seeing a tread were people auction of a item or has a buy it now and the shipping is more than what the item is worth! You can by a item for 150.00 than they want 35.00 + for shipping at the price more than likely the item can be bought new. Ebay really needs to put a cap on this crap.
    I agree, just last night I bought an item off ebay for around $5 and had to pay $10 for shipping. 99 percent of the time though I avoid auctions where they are trying to make most of the money off of the shipping and not off of the item price. Maybe the seller is just tring to avoid the ebay fees but as a buyer it kind of makes me feel like they are tring to sell me the item hoping I will not see the shipping charges. So I usually pass it up. Even if the shipping and item price total what all the others are selling the same item for. I usually buy from the sellers that make their money off of the item price and not the shipping.

Ebay has rules against high shipping and listings can be ended if the shipping is deemed to be one of those where the seller is trying to cirumvent ebay fee's. Dunno where the 100 feedback for BIN came from I've been using that feature from early on.

What really gets me is people from other countries and even ones that register in the uk and then want you to ship abroad. Nigerian scammers.

Ben

I just refuse to buy anything like that. not too long ago I as buying a hard drive enclosure for my 2.5" hard drive, everything was .99 bin and $10 shipping. I waited untill I found on efor $8 and $3 shippping.

sometimes people dont see the shipping price and only the awesome bid or BIN price and buy it, then get screwed, so I agree, someone has to put their foot down. Another thing is that ebay is not allowing so many items that made ebay so awesome. They havent been allowing guns for a long time, and now they just stopped allowing switchblades... mainly because they had a 2cm limit on them where people would post that limit but they obviously werent.

I think ebay has a legit reason to put their foot down too, its depriving them of making money. I do disagree with their higher selling prices.

Jon

I just did a customer survey for EBay two nights ago. It was on shipping and why would you buy from this person $100.00 + $5.00 shipping than over a person selling the same thing at $75.00 + $30.00 shipping. So they must be looking into it. I just hate it when someone sells you a boot leg item and EBay will not protect you from negative feed back if you report them. The only reason I buy as much as I do from EBay is I cannot get people to order it; they act like they don’t want your business. Well that’s my two cents worth I am off to snip some poor sole. ;-)

Actually, I have a friend who sells a product on Ebay. The price difference between his product and his shipping is not as extreme as what you guys are talking about but it is still pretty high. I think his product is fifteen dollars and his shipping is ten.

What he has done though, is, he ships everything by a faster service (like Fedex two day or something like that). He has also begun to insure every package himself (self insured, not through the shiping company). He kept track of how often something arrived damaged or didn't arrive at all and he just added enough to his shipping fees to cover this. Self insuring the product has proven to be far more efficient than dealing with the shipping companies when something goes wrong.

By doing this his customers get their product very quickly, and if there are any problems with damaged or missing product, he just sends out another to replace it PROMPTLY with no questions asked.

Overall, his shipping IS a little expensive, but his customers are still getting this product for 40 percent less than they would have to pay in a retail store (including the shipping), and they are extremely happy with the service they are getting.

But then he is not trying to defraud Ebay or any one else for that matter.
    Patrick;
    The Sober Pollock

Quote Originally Posted by WeCheat
    I just did a customer survey for EBay two nights ago. It was on shipping and why would you buy from this person $100.00 + $5.00 shipping than over a person selling the same thing at $75.00 + $30.00 shipping. So they must be looking into it. I just hate it when someone sells you a boot leg item and EBay will not protect you from negative feed back if you report them. The only reason I buy as much as I do from EBay is I cannot get people to order it; they act like they don’t want your business. Well that’s my two cents worth I am off to snip some poor sole. ;-)
    Interresting, I guess I'm not the only one, I guess Ebay has noticed to.

I like buying form the items that have calculate shipping on them or states the shipping cost, I steer away from the one with unkown shipping, calculated after sale.

i don't mind the guy trying to get a little bit on the shipping, there is a cost in time and materials there as well for most items. The bottom line is what does it cost to my door.

Page 1 of 4 123