586,643 active members*
2,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cam-Cad Software

Looking for a easer to use cad-cam software. Have Albire Pro and Spurt CAM now. It is a pain to use. So now my question is what do you guys use 2.5 D mainly?

Carl Boe

Outside the CAD-CAM Box?

For CAM ... Maybe think outside the CAD/CAM Overkill Box ... Kipware® conversational software.

Kentech Inc. - Real World Machine Shop and CNC Software

Carl....

While I am kinda jealous you have the software you do because I would love to be able to afford that I have been using Sheetcam which is a pretty decent 2.5d software that is reasonably cheap. I have yet to find anything easier to use. It is only 2.5d tho but it supports tapping and other nice features and I hear tell that it may add lathe functions soon as well as possibly some 3d down the road a bit. I have made all sorts of stuff with it and it always produces good code for me. Some of the products from vectrix get real good reviews if you do not need 3d as well. If you do need 3d I have heard real good things about using the bobcad interface in solidworks but that is pretty pricey stuff.

I am curious as to what it is you find difficult in your current setup. It seems to have a lot of nice features and lots of options. Peace

Pete

SprutCAM can be a challenge, but it's not that difficult once you start getting the hang of it. I still have my moments with it, but any questions I have are quickly answered here:

SprutCAM forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

I'm not trying to steer people away from this forum, but the SprutCAM section here is not very active.

If you already have the software, it seems a waste to buy something else.

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    SprutCAM can be a challenge, but it's not that difficult once you start getting the hang of it. I still have my moments with it, but any questions I have are quickly answered here:

SprutCAM forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

I'm not trying to steer people away from this forum, but the SprutCAM section here is not very active.

If you already have the software, it seems a waste to buy something else.
    +1.

If you hang in there and get up and over the learning curve, it gets better and better. You already invested in Sprut, and it gives you a lot for the money.

See my post over in this thread:

I highly recommend Vectric's VCarve Pro.

Get a Solidworks seat and HSMWorks 2.5D CAM package is available for free.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

CAD-CAM in one package is the future I think, no matter which software you choose, the primary is to ask yourself what you need exactly. Besides integrated CAD-CAM, if you need complex sheet metal design, get the package which provide the good capability for sheet metal, if you need Mold design, get the package which is good at Mold.

I have Vcarve pro, which is certainly nice for more simple parts. I really don't like how it retracts after each pass when pocketing though. It really wastes a lot of time. You have to go and edit the code manually afterwards if you don't want it to do that.

For 2.5d stuff I use Sheetcam. It's excellent software for the price, dead simple and very quick to use and also does thread milling which is handy.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    See my post over in this thread:

I highly recommend Vectric's VCarve Pro.
    +1 on VCarve Pro..... My Dad recently bought it for a CNC router I put together for him over the holidays. In a couple days he was doing some very nice things. BTW, he had zero CNC experience going in.

Robert

After reading the above I just bought Vectric cut3d. I'm pretty impressed so far, it looks to be a pretty decent 3d cam package for not a lot of money.

I'll be happy to show you a 15 minute demo of BobCad-CAM. We can provide student pricing. Email: [email protected] Tel: 866-408-3226 x114. I can also shoot you a few videos for your review.

Rob C

Alibre Pro is a pretty decent package. I use the latest pro version. Don't use the Sprut CAM.

To ask for something easier to use? How about giving a bit more info on what you are wanting to use it for?

If you want to do "artful" type stuff, then Alibre may require learning. If you are doing more mechanical design stuff then it works very well for it. Particularly for multiple parts. And I'm thinking this will hold true for most packages.

If you are doing just sign making stuff, then look at something more suited to that type of stuff. Vectric or Artcam type packages.

As for learning, Alibre does offer on-line training and some of its free with up to date maintenance. It's worth doing if you need help. Typically these are very small "classes" that you can get some personal learning questions answered.

Either way, Alibre Pro does a whole lot of stuff for design work. Reading the manuals will certainly help.

If you ever contemplate 4th axis work, check on the pricing for that before jumping in on anything. A number of the low-cost 2.5D and 3D CAM packages get nutsy expensive when you try to add a 4th.