586,072 active members*
4,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazatrol M Plus ethernet - NFS or Windows???

Hi all, we have 3 Mazaks with the M Plus control that has worked fine for years on our network. The Ethernet on all three was communicating with an old (15 years) SCO UNIX box running NFS. That computer is on its last legs and I need to replace it with something more recent. What would you recommend, another NFS box or a Windows computer to serve our files? The Ethernet manual talks about using a host with either PC(MS-DOS) or UNIX. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I’ve tried a DiskStation Network Area Storage server because it runs some variant of Linux and can do NFS. But when the M Plus connects the directory and file list is unreadable even after hours of messing with the parameters to adjust the columns.
    Thanks,
    Keith

Re: Mazatrol M Plus ethernet - NFS or Windows???

Hi,
    I have used FileZilla Server with the Mplus. Filezilla is a freebie FTP server which is ideal for CNC work for a several reasons, not the least of which is that it doesn't time out when doing drip feed work. The position of filenames etc in the ethernet settings needed to be changed and to be honest I didn't spend hours and hours trying to sort all of them out however the settings I have display the filename and size at a minimum. It was quite awhile ago I did this for my client and the memory is a bit fuzzy but I can send the settings if needed.

Hi,

I know that some time has passed, but was it possible to connect the Mazatrol M plus to the PC(windows) via Ethernet?
    To do this, have you tried to mount network cards in the control? or does it have an Ethernet output? if yes, where is located ?

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeowulf View Post
    Hi,

I know that some time has passed, but was it possible to connect the Mazatrol M plus to the PC(windows) via Ethernet?
    To do this, have you tried to mount network cards in the control? or does it have an Ethernet output? if yes, where is located ?
    Hi, The MPLUS needs to be fitted with a special card that supports Ethernet. There are a couple of issues even after fitting the card as follows:
    a./ Early versions of the software used on the board had a nasty habit of skipping lines of code. This was fixed for sure with version 3 of the code.

b. The connection is the old Coaxial type so to use CA% you will need an adapter.

I used Filezilla as the server on the PC, it's not 100% right but it works well enough. If you go down this track then send me a message and I'll send you the settings,

Cheers