586,108 active members*
3,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Enclosures

Page 1 of 7 123

Enclosures

so I'm getting ready to put together my first cnc controller/power supply set up (using Phil's designs) and am faced with the issue of an enclosure. I started drilling out the spot welds on a pc case but am not that happy with it. The vertical orientation is cumbersome and it'll need end panels before it'll look any good.

my first pc, darn near 20 years ago sat horizontally and the whole lid lifted up on hinges like the hood of a car - that would be perfect! Is such a thing still made?

Before I either live with the PC case or start making my own enclosure, I thought maybe you guys would have some brilliant flashes on what I can use, either off the shelf or modified.

Of course it has usual requirements of being sturdy, looking great and low cost ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver
    so I'm getting ready to put together my first cnc controller/power supply set up (using Phil's designs) and am faced with the issue of an enclosure. I started drilling out the spot welds on a pc case but am not that happy with it. The vertical orientation is cumbersome and it'll need end panels before it'll look any good.

my first pc, darn near 20 years ago sat horizontally and the whole lid lifted up on hinges like the hood of a car - that would be perfect! Is such a thing still made?

Before I either live with the PC case or start making my own enclosure, I thought maybe you guys would have some brilliant flashes on what I can use, either off the shelf or modified.

Of course it has usual requirements of being sturdy, looking great and low cost ideas?
    Funny you ask, I'm cutting mine as I type this. Drew it up in acad and put together in solid works. heres what it will look like.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=164

Joe

Depends on what you call low cost. Try this link for really well built rackmount cases:

http://www.par-metal.com/

I got a 10-29145x for $63

Attached is a illustration of my control box as rendered in rhino3d. I have since reduced it to 3 axis only.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ps3a.jpg  

I own a sheetmetal shop and we can make your encloser. all I need is a 2d layout of what you want. I made mine out of 18 ga.. then painted it.
    Cost for the cnc people would be about $40.00 . That is what it cost me for materials and wages for my shop people. there would also be frieght. You can pay after you recieve the encloser.
    In your design add a bottom pan that is elevated about 3/4" up and is removable. This makes it a lot easier to install your componets.
    The price doesn't include cutting all the holes.
    mike laws

"In your design add a bottom pan that is elevated about 3/4" up and is removable."

AW HECK, Mike!!!

Why didn't I think of that?? BRAIN FADE!! Great suggestion!!!

Mike

Computergeeks.com sometimes have excellent heavy duty rack case for very reasonable money

Here is a quick drawing of a cabinet. It my give you a place to start.
    mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

guys, thanks very much, Mike esp for the offer and plan. I'd probably take you up on it but being on the other side of the border, shipping and customs clearing costs are always an issue. how would you assemble it, spotwelding?

Mcgyver
    here are a couple of pics of a stainless cabinet we are putting together for a dairy. All the controls are mounted on a back pan so you can assemble it then install. What part of canada do you live?
    I don't know about shipping but we can try and find a cheap way. Let me know. Maybe if enough people are interested, we could design a universal cabinet, then I could get the price down even cheaper.
    mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MIKES PICTURES 074.jpg   MIKES PICTURES 075.jpg  

Mike, I'm in Toronto. Rats, other end of the continent from you. I like the work! Don't forget, its not just the shipping, its clearing customs at the border. I do appreciate the offer - and won't rule it out but i am not encouraged by previous experiece in importing things. it's fine if your're a business with a process and volume, but for a 'one of' it could equal the cost of the box....then again compared to what else i'm finding out there.....

I thought there'd be more eye-opening responses, ie unconventional uses for commonly available stuff. The closest I've found is a Nema 1 box, but they're not cheap and if I got to pick I'd like something better looking.

Part of the problem is i don't really know what i want and am part idea hunting, part solution hunting and hoping to stumble on a good combinatio

To design a universal one, I like the idea of a hinged top for easy access and a removable, aluminum front panel so its easy for the DIY to layout and drill holes etc. maybe even a removeable back panel for a portion of it to do the same with openings for ports etc.

The other solution is to just go by a nice big box and pan break .

Mcgyver
    As far as getting it thru customs, that is not a big problem. I can drive it across the border then ship it. As this is your idea you get the proto type for free, except shipping.
    I am going to run about 8 enclosures at a time, then have the shop put them together in their slack time. That way I should be able to get my cost down to $30 and that is what I will sell them for.
    I like your idea for the front and back panels. I thinking about 22"x22" 6" H.
    Will do a drawing and see what you think.
    thanks
    mike

Mike, that’s waaaay to generous, but I’m in…however do let me pay you or do some machining or something! Wasn’t much of an idea, just a need - I don’t want to freeload or impose on your goodwill.

Also, don’t preclude a profit for yourself – I selfishly want you still happy to make the ultimate cnc controller box years from now when I’m building my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc, …

Mcgyver
    thanks for taking me up on it. It is what I love to do, design things. This my hobby so I don't want to make a profit. then it turns into a business and I just want to do this for fun. Will start to work on some drawings.
    will keep you posted
    Mike

Don't forget to include ventilation provisions!

The removable back plane is a must!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

here is a mock up in galv. metal. Recessed and removable front and rear panels. removable bottom pan, hinged top. Sloped front? 20x20 6"h. Front and rear panels aluminum. removable bottom pan 18 ga. The rest in 22ga.?
    It is just a place to start. Need input
    thanks mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasma 024.jpg  

Mike, you don't waste any time looks great! I also like the look of the front.

Control Cabinet Prototype

Mike
    The mock up for the control cabinet looks as if it has captured the necessary features.
    Ease of component assembly and service when required have been addressed.
    The slope on the end piece adds a note of class.
    Will the lid be held closed with screws or some other fastener?
    Weldtutor

I wasted a lot of time, been going to do this for months. Don't know what I am going to use on the lid for fasteners. Want to come up with something that will look nice.
    Got another case going to Cananda. Next week is Thanksgiving so it will a couple of weeks before I will be able to go North.
    will keep you posted.
    mike

A few pics to let you know I am making progress. The first three are almost done.
    mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plasma 030.jpg   plasma 029.jpg   plasma 031.jpg  

My goodness that looks like a lot of work. No wonder Hoffman enclosures are so expensive.
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

Page 1 of 7 123