586,544 active members*
2,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Opinions on SW/SC?

I am looking to purchase a cad/cam program and have gone through the SW/SC demo, but I want to know what the people that have it think about it. I have Fadal VMCs and I design/program my own products.
    www.turtleracingproducts.com

I use Inventorcam where I work, and most of my problems come from not knowing how to draw in Inventor. If the Geomertery is not there, I have a tough time drawing it. Other than that, I would say it's a pretty desent package. Although I found out it's not as automatic and intergraded as they say it is.

I've used Gibbs in the past, and if it wasn't for the money thing, I would perfer to use that instead.

glovevbox20

Modelling/Sketching in Inventor or SolidWorks (two of the leading CAD systems world wide) is a dam sight easier than battling with drawing tools in a stand alone CAM system. The automation in SolidCAM and InventorCAM is there if you purchase it and take the time to understand and tweak it to suit your requirements. Even in 2.5D, you can speed things up by using Templates and Process Templates.

I've used a number of CAM systems, and found SolidCAM to have the best 2.5D module of all - very easy to use and provides a lot of the options some CAM vendors consider 3D, such as helical plunging, helical profiling and 3D contours.

The HSS module is the best in the business, with direct surface machining without having to deal with boundaries. This is actually SolidCAM's 5 axis module reduced to 3 axis, so you get to benefit from a huge range of options.

If you need any more info, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_CNC View Post

The HSS module is the best in the business, with direct surface machining without having to deal with boundaries. This is actually SolidCAM's 5 axis module reduced to 3 axis, so you get to benefit from a huge range of options.

If you need any more info, let me know
    you are saying you never have to create boundaries to control the tool path with solidcam hss? do you have a video link that shows how this works?

That's right, no boundaries, you just select the surface you want to machine! ....it's very good!

Have a look at these videos: The HSS Advantages - SolidCAM CAM software

it also seems to be one of SolidCAM's cheapest modules! ...go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_CNC View Post
    That's right, no boundaries, you just select the surface you want to machine! ....it's very good!

Have a look at these videos: The HSS Advantages - SolidCAM CAM software

it also seems to be one of SolidCAM's cheapest modules! ...go figure!
    it does look very good! like what I see!

does solidcam have a surface mill tool path that roughs out in big steps and then will go back and step up using small steps?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdSUVHmlg8]Mastercam X5 Mill 3D High Speed Toolpath: Optirough - YouTube[/ame]

3D iMachining