586,096 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    ~ I didn't think about a cover for the Y-Axis screw other than the bellows. The flashlight tube sounds like a great idea. Have to see how the best way to fasten it.

~On the lube system, I already drilled out the column for a Z-Axis oiler. I don't have any good ideas on the X/Y and probably would be easy enuff to manually do that for now. I'll search the forums for ideas...

Thanks for the tips.
    Matt

Flashlight tube? Make a neat fit between tower and the fixed ballscrew nut.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

...back to work starting on the Z-Axis now.

1. Setting up the Z-Axis column with guide pins inserted. My pins did sit flush with some lite tapping so no clearance was needed. (P: zColumn0).

2. Installing the Z-Axis mount to the Z column (P: zMount1) with 4 pcs CNCFusion supplied allen cap srews. Install the Z-Axis stepper mount (P: zMotorPlate4, zMount2 and zMount3).

3. (P: zAxisParts1 & zAxisParts2 ) shows the Z-Axis parts used to assemble the ballscrew mounts & ballscrew.

4a. Unscrew the middle ballscrew mount and then attach bs nut mount to metal plate reusing screws form old screw mount (P: zAxisBSMount1)

4b. Then remount the bs nut assembly. (P: zAxisBSMount2). When I disassembled, I marked the way it was attached to make sure they match. It didn't seem to matter, but just in case.

5. Attach the upper Z-Axis mount with alignment pins. I probably will remove this according to CR's extended Z-Axis travel mod later (P: zAxisUpperBSMount1)

6a. *I decided to file a flat into the ballscrew for the bottom pulley (P: zAxisBSFlat). A trick learned from RC Heli's.

6b. Here is the bottom Z-Axis mount parts (P: zAxisLowerBSMount1).

7. Complete Z-Axis ballscrew setup (P: zAxisAssembly1 & zAxisAssembly2 )

...on to mounting the head plates to follow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zColumn0.jpg   zMount1.jpg   zMotorPlate4.jpg   zMount2.jpg  

zMount3.jpg   zAxisParts1.jpg   zAxisParts2.jpg   zAxisBSMount1.jpg  

zAxisBSMount2.jpg   zAxisUpperBSMount1.jpg   zAxisBSFlat1.jpg   zAxisLowerBSMount1.jpg  

zAxisAssembly1.jpg   zAxisAssembly2.jpg  

...and now on to assembling the vertical slide plate.

1. Installing the Z-Axis Side Plates, notice that they are different. Looking from the front of the mill, the right side has a couple extra large holes. (P: zColSidePlates1).

2. Now install the vertical slide. I set the Z gib in place loosely to hold everything together while installing all screws, then tightening the screws equally (P: zColVertSide1).

3. Next was installing the friction plate, springs (6 pcs) and sliding in the 2 head mounting bolts (P: zColMountParts1)

4. For the head, I had help to guide onto the 2 mounting bolts. I just reversed CR's instruction for dis-assembly. I had a couple of boards on the table and then put the nose of the head on it. I guided the Y-Axis back while raising and lowering the Z-Axis to guide onto bolts. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of this as both our hands were full...

...on to the electronics cabinet mod...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zColSidePlates1.jpg   zColVertSide1.jpg   zColMountParts1.jpg  

Nice pictures. Keep up the good work.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Here is what I did to modify the back electronics cover. My steppers may differ so I would double check measurements.

1. Cut the side cover on both sides. My measurements were to cut out from 2.5" up from the bottom flat to the 5" mark as shown in image (P: elecCoverMod1)

2. Cut the back flat cover 8 5/8" from the bottom. I then drilled a couple of new holes with allen screws/nuts to secure since I cut 2 of the bottom mounting holes (P: elecCoverMod2)

3. Shown cutout on sides (P: elecCoverMod3 )

...on to reassembling the electronics cabinet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails elecCoverMod1.jpg   elecCoverMod2.jpg   elecCoverMod3.jpg  

OK, I must have missed this in the posts I've read mod'ing the back cover:

While adding the strut to the column and base I ran the Z-Axis to the upper limit (hard stop mount). I noticed the right/left side plates will hit the top of the back cover preventing about 2" of Z-Axis height.

Wondering if you guys don't extend the Z that far up (to the top mount)? I now see why CR mounted his Z stepper reversed and raised the cover up some.

...seems I'll have to remove the back cover again and disassemble electronics, cut slots and reassemble and take pics to show what I've done.

Thanks, Matt

Back onto documenting what I have done so far.

1. I noticed that the z-Axis, when extended all the way up, would hit the top of the cover (pic zAxisExtended1.jpg).

2. I had to remove the back z-Axis cover, remove electronics (again) and cut relief slots so that the z-Axis could extend higher by about 2.5" as shown in image (zAxisExtendedCover1.jpg).

3. While I had the cover off, I cut a relief hole and installed a rubber grommet for the z-Axis motor wire to exit (zAxisCoverCableExit.jpg).

Reassembled and installed the z-Axis cover, again. I also want to remove the inspection plate later and install an 80mm fan and filter screen.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zAxisExtended1.jpg   zAxisExtendedCover1.jpg   zAxisCoverCableExit.jpg  

2 more tasks done included

1. Just a simple bypass for the limit switch on the safety shield. I used a tywrap for now until I determine how to use this feature later (guardSwitch.jpg).

2. Installed the strut from the head to base on the right side of mill. The strut kit was purchased from CNC Fusion (strutMount.jpg) and included the strut, mounting hardware and drill/tap.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guardSwitch.jpg   strutMount.jpg  

My controller box is almost finished. One last piece is to wire up the limits to the G540 through the DB9 connector.

Here are some images showing how I wired up the controller box. I had some spare pieces from a Joes CNC that I used (DIN rail, connectors, etc...). I also included a BOM of parts I used in case anyone needs a starting point. I also used Homanns wiring diagram as a reference but modifying as I added parts.

1. I started with Keling's controller box which includes some accessories like e-Stop, on/off switch, fuse holder, a 2 plugs. I also added another switch for the G540 enable switch (controllerFront1.jpg).

2. On the back of the box, I added a DB25 panel mount to make it easier to transition from the Smoothstepper to the G540. I did use a 1ft extension cable and gender changer for this (controllerRear1.jpg)

3. Misc wiring images showing how to stuff 8lbs into a 5lb box (ioSwitchPSWiring1.jpg, controllerWiring1.jpg,controllerWiring2.jpg,contro llerWiring3.jpg).

4. I included a 5v & 12v PS so when I needed these voltages I had them. These were mounted with motherboard standoffs and screw tapped as 6-32. You may or may not need these. The 5v powers the Smoothstepper and the 12v powers the fans and 12vdc relay I used (controllerWiring1.jpg).

5. I created my own G540 cooling system using a couple 50mm fans and some old .050" lexan. I used 1 1/4" plastic spacers for a 1/4" gap and powered the fans with the 12v PS shown earlier (g540Cooling1.jpg).

I'm no expert on wiring but if you have any questions, just let me know and I'll try to explain what I did or take higher res pics if needed.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails controllerFront1.jpg   controllerRear1.jpg   controllerWiring1.jpg   controllerWiring2.jpg  

controllerWiring3.jpg   g540Cooling1.jpg   ioSwitchPSWiring1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey Matt..Awesome Work! How close to the table can you get the Z to go with the strut attached? Thanks Bob..

Thanks Bob.

Once I wire up the steppers and get it moving (argg, by hand stinks), I'll give you that info.

Limits and Stepper wiring with EZ-G540 connectors as the next steps...

Matt

Sorry for the delay with getting your answer back. I got X,Y,Z moving after some debugging of my controller, Mach3, e-SS and the G540.

The Z-Axis with strut attached can get as close as 2.25". We'll see if that gap is limiting for what I need to do?

At this time I'm wiring up my Home/Limits next using a nice Soigerneris Limit Box. Makes connecting the wiring nice and tidy. Pics will follow.

Thanks, Matt

Thanks Matt! I appriciate it! 2.25 is a Good Number. Excellent Work! Bob

OK, after getting sidetrack with my other hobby (Home Automation) and building a FreeNAS box, I'm back on the CNC Mill. I left off with having to wire up the Home/Limits for the X, Y, & Z axis. So far I have the X,Y done and moving to the Z next. I did stop and work thru the Mach3 configuration settings for these axis and to see the work in progress. Watching it home the two axis was worth taking the timeout....

For the X & Y axis:
    1. The first image (limitFront1.jpg) shows the front of the mill with the wiring for the X &Y axis going to the back of the mill from underneath. At the back of the mill, I mounted the Soigeneris Limit Switch box (limitSwitchBox1.jpg). This made a nice neat installation with little effort.

2. I had some left over HDPE (plastic) blocks from a Joe's CNC kit. I'm sure aluminum blocks could be used but figured I'd recycle these. I cut four (4) blocks 1" x 1.5" x 3/8" to use for the stops on each end. (limitXY1.jpg and limitXY2.jpg) and drilled/tapped for 8-32 screws.

3. The switches are Honeywell VL Mini Limit Switch Z2L-VL-A (5A 250v AC) wired to NC so I could use active high instead of active low/NO. Here you can see the right side limit block. (xLimit1.jpg)

4. For the yAxis, I mounted the switch (yLimit1.jpg) on the right side (looking @ mill). Yes, this is the same side as the gib adjustment but the other side had the plate from extending the y axis from the CNC Fusion kit. I did leave enough room to adjust the middle post and this way my switches are not moving, only the table moves and triggers the stops.

So far so good. I'm on to mount the Z Axis next and then, maybe start cutting while I acquire the enclosure pieces....

If you have any questions, just ask....

Enjoy, Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails limitFront1.jpg   limitSwitchBox1.jpg   limitXY1.jpg   limitXY2.jpg  

xLimit1.JPG   yLimit1.JPG  

hellow mattm55,
    I am Shivraj from India. i have ordered SX3 from sieg. i have few questions to ask. i will be really thankful if you and other guyz answer them.

the total cost of SX3 is around $3000 here at india, what was the cost of your sx3?
    i have found from the internet that the price of sx3 at other countries are about $1500.

i am planing to use a DMM servo system with this machine , so does the sx3 worth spending that much money on servo motors?

and the cnc kit for converting sx3 to cnc is going to cost me alot, bcoz of the shipping charges. so getting a cnc kit is not an option for me. ( i have spend almost double on the sx3, so i am short on budget). so can you please give me some detailed size of the ballscrews that you got with a kit? and other info about the parts in a kit? i am thinking about making all the parts by my self and buy the screw from the local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post
    hellow mattm55,
    I am Shivraj from India. i have ordered SX3 from sieg. i have few questions to ask. i will be really thankful if you and other guyz answer them.

the total cost of SX3 is around $3000 here at india, what was the cost of your sx3?
    i have found from the internet that the price of sx3 at other countries are about $1500.
    ~Hello. Yes, the Grizzly SX3 was around $1700 to my door. That is a big difference in pricing.

i am planing to use a DMM servo system with this machine , so does the sx3 worth spending that much money on servo motors?
    ~Unfortunately, I went with stepper motors so I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between them and the cost per value. I am so far please with my steppers and G540 kit. Others can chime in for the differences over cost.

and the cnc kit for converting sx3 to cnc is going to cost me alot, bcoz of the shipping charges. so getting a cnc kit is not an option for me. ( i have spend almost double on the sx3, so i am short on budget). so can you please give me some detailed size of the ballscrews that you got with a kit? and other info about the parts in a kit? i am thinking about making all the parts by my self and buy the screw from the local shop.
    ~Well, I don't have the specs but my kit is from CNCFusion. For me, without access to another machine, this was the best way to go. The kit works well with very little modifications. The kit information can be referenced from CNCFusion's site. I think I remember someone on eBay selling a kit too and also someone has plans/specs for building a similar kit with all schematics.

~I have found the mill, electronics to be only 1/2 the cost so far as a good CAD/CAM package is needed and tooling.

Good Luck with your build and post to this forum for others. Matt

thankx for the reply mattm55,

can you plz tell me that what are the specs of your stepper motor and stepper driver? like motor's power (oz-in).

and which kit did you brought from CNCFusion? what was the total price of it (including shipping). and what are the things that you got in the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post

can you plz tell me that what are the specs of your stepper motor and stepper driver? like motor's power (oz-in).
    ~Sure thing.
    I bought the kit over at Automation Technology Inc

Specs:
    G540 4-Axis kit(110V/220VAC):
    1 pcs G540 4 axis Stepper Driver with 4pcs DB9 connectors
    1 pcs NEMA34 906 oz-in Stepper Motor
    3 pcs NEMA23 KL23H2100-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 381 oz-in
    1 pcs KL-600-48 48V/12.5A 115V /230V Power Supply

and which kit did you brought from CNCFusion? what was the total price of it (including shipping). and what are the things that you got in the kit?
    ~I bought the SX3 "Small-Mill Deluxe CNC kit PREMIUM BALLSCREWS" with 2 Heli-Cal Zero Backlash couplers from CNC Fusion. I asked them to do the x-tended version for X axis/Y axis according to CreaviceReamers specs. I ordered 2 extra Y-Axis spacers and the gas strut for the Z Axis. Costs ~ $1250 shipped. Here is an image from CNC Fusion of what items are included with the conversion kit from their website.

http://www.cncfusion.com/images/X3mo...8/IMG_1099.JPG

~The controller box I built myself with BOM I posted in this build thread...

Hope that helps.
    Enjoy, MattM

i will get the pricing from the local shop today and i will compare it with the stepper KIT that you bought, the same thing with cnc kit. and lets see what is the difference in price.

Page 2 of 4 1234