586,106 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    mattm55,
    there is a 3-4" long tube in that image that you showed me of the kit. so whats that for?

and on the Z axis screw, there is a small thing which looks like a nut or something like that. so what is that? and can u plz tell me that what is that does? and if possible then plz show me image of that same thing on your z axis, so i can easily understand its propose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails click.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sizala View Post
    mattm55,
    there is a 3-4" long tube in that image that you showed me of the kit. so whats that for?
    ~that wasn't used but is for removing the ballscrews if you ever need to.

and on the Z axis screw, there is a small thing which looks like a nut or something like that. so what is that? and can u plz tell me that what is that does? and if possible then plz show me image of that same thing on your z axis, so i can easily understand its propose.
    ~that wasn't included in my kit. All the parts to remount the Z(mount blocks etc...) came from the original machine except for the pulley.

Matt

okey matt,

some new questions .

what is the length of the belt on z axis's stepper? and diameters of the pulley.
    and what is the OD of the ballscrew? is it 16mm or 20mm ?
    and are those screws are rolled ball screws or ground ball screws? ( i found from a cnc forum that ground screws are batter , but i dont know that what is the difference in both of them).

okey matt,

some new questions .

what is the length of the belt on z axis's stepper? and diameters of the pulley.
    and what is the OD of the ballscrew? is it 16mm or 20mm ?
    and are those screws are rolled ball screws or ground ball screws? ( i found from a cnc forum that ground screws are batter , but i dont know that what is the difference in both of them).
    Those questions could probably be found or answered better on the CNCFusion forum. I think someone in the forums here ad the pulley/belt part no's too.

Thanks, Matt

They are rolled. Ground screws are much more expensive.

OK, I was asked for more pics of how I setup my x&y limits. I do have the extended x&y so your results may vary. Let me know if something isn't clear and I will take an exact image with measure if needed.

Thanks, Matt

wow, utterly ridiculous overtravels. if your goal was to make the most unstable table platform, you succeeded.

Hey Matt,

I'm doing an similar conversion to yours and just received the same electronics package you got from Automation Tech.

Did you end up wiring the Nema 34 motor (KL34H295-43-8A) in series or parallel? It looks like you can get more torque if wired in series but then you need a current limiting resister.

Thanks man, this thread has been super useful!
    Charlie

Well, I don't think I ever wanted to ever cut at these limits but setup just to see what travels I could get. Obviously, limit block size can be adjustable to get balance of stability and travel.

LMS Spindle Control Board install coming:

Question about your limit switches Matt,
    I thought the switch would only work if moved to one side, then spring back to its nc position. Does this switch work in three positions? By this I mean, does it stay normally closed in the center position, then opens when pushed to the left or the right?

Quote Originally Posted by johnyac View Post
    By this I mean, does it stay normally closed in the center position, then opens when pushed to the left or the right?
    OK. From what I remember on these switches is that they can be setup either NO or NC in the initial setup. Then as the table's axis moves and "switches" them to open or closed and stops. I use these as kinda a home position but no limits as they are to the extent of the table. I wanted to see how much travel I could get.

So, in NO... it moves to contact the switch and creates the NC which Mach3 reads as a home for me.

Hope that helps.

Hey Matt,

Would you please update us on your LMS Spindle Control Board install/experience?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 3space View Post
    Hey Matt,

Would you please update us on your LMS Spindle Control Board install/experience?

Thanks!
    Sure thing. I had to step back and just finished installing my panels for my 8020/Enclosure. Talk about working backwards. The cost of the plastic had me reconfiguring my 8020 to fit some smaller sized panels 36"x30" instead.

Now that I have that complete I will start installing the LMS SPB and take pics. I'll most likely setup the simple wiring as a "proof of concept" and then wire it to my G540 and Mach3.

Any particular thing you wanted to see? Mounting location, wiring, running with Mach3 (me too on that one)?

Stay tuned. Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm busy with work for the next 2-3 weeks, so I have not fully researched the problem that some have had with the LMS spindle controller. I think the problem was the spindle turning on unexpectedly in certain power-down conditions. So, re: the LMS board, I have no particular questions, but was going to use your experience as another data point towards deciding on that option or a dedicated AMC controller.

Looking forward to your post.

Thank you!

I emailed LMS, and they said that this board is only for use on the SX3. I have an X3

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McColley View Post
    I emailed LMS, and they said that this board is only for use on the SX3. I have an X3

Yes, this is for SX3. I do see that they have an SX3 for 240v version now. That is something new and maybe they will do an X3 someday soon.

Matt

Matt,
    If you have it set up, would you mind posting your Mach3 XML file? I've test run the one from cnc router parts and it works fine, but its still not an SX3 version with a 906 z axis stepper. I've just gotten the licensed version of mach so it will take me a little while to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyac View Post
    Matt,
    If you have it set up, would you mind posting your Mach3 XML file?
    OK. Not sure what you mean by the above "if you have it setup"? I do not have the spindle control setup yet or installed but will be working on it the next few days. If your talking about just a non spindle control .xml... I could get you that for just a manaul mode.
    Matt

I will break down the install of the LMS Spindle Control into 3 parts (Mount, Wiring and Mach3).

MOUNT:

The first step was to mount the SCB (Spindle Control Board) to my SX3. The hardest part was to locate what I thought would be the best spot to mount and allow wiring ease and have enough cable length to connect to the main board.

Step 1: I took the back covers of the electric cabinet off to see where the best mounting position would be taking into consideration of the length of the supplied cable (about 20"). I decided on the upper part of the cabinet. (sx3Location.jpg)

Step 2: I mounted my board using a method I've used to assemble motherboards in PC's. I created a template to allow me to center punch the hole locations and then drilled and tapped for the (4) brass 6x32 standoffs. These are the same standoffs used for mounting PC motherboards into cases. I got a 50 pc bag from NewEgg. Make sure you get the screws if you don't have any from left over PC builds. *One note here is that I stuffed rags over the mainboard area to catch filings and left them to catch the screws I knew I would drop installing the SCB. (template1.jpg, mountHardware1.jpg, mountHardware2.jpg, standoffs1.jpg)

Step 3: Once the board is secure, I attached the supplied cable from the SCB to the SX3's mainboard. Here I found on the mainboard I had to remove the 2 tabs shown in the image that prevented the cable connection. There is nothing in the instructions on the orientation of the cable to mainboard so I also matched the wire colors from the new cable to the original one you remove from your SX3. (cableFix.jpg)

Step 4: Route the cable up to the SCB and connect. I marked my terminals to make it easier to wire later. Remove rags. (pcbMount1.jpg, installed1.jpg)

Step 5: Remove eProm and replace with one supplied with the kit. Mine had a dab of paint already but becareful not to mix these up because they do look similar. Install carefully paying attention to the notch orientation.

Wiring is next. I will start with the Simple Wiring to test...

Stay tuned....

Page 3 of 4 1234