586,047 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Galil DMC-1050 controller retrofit

I have gained a lot of info here but this is my first post.
    I am seeking input and criticism of my upgrade plan; I just purchased a very well made CNC matcutter with Galil DMC-1050 5 axis ISA PC card controller that is operated with proprietary software and not native gcode (can convert to their format but remains 2D).
    I am going to use the machine as a 3D CNC router (spindle) and Laser engraver. The current components are:
    Galil DMC1050 controller, (2) ICM1100 Interconnects), (5)Advanced Motion Controls B12A6 PWM Servo Drives, (4) Parker SM231AE Servo Motors, Elektro spindle w/VFD.
    Options as I see it:
    1. Mach3 & LPT1 wired in to bus or breakout board. (Can the ICM1100 be used as a breakout)
    2. WinCNC & PCI Card wired to the ICM1100 (or do I need a breakout)
    3. Upgrade the Galil to a newer card using Mach3 w/plugin (such as DMC1850) card wired to the ICM1100
    4.?? You tell me.

It is a robust machine and I would like to keep a robust servo controller setup without breaking the bank. I already have Mach3, would have to purchase the rest of the equipment listed in the options.

I would consider upgrading that card to a newer Galil. Probably to the 18xx series to get you away from the ISA bus. They go cheap on eBay. Be sure and save your servo tune settings and other config settings from that old card ASAP. I'd put it on paper.

I'm not positive but I don't think Mach does Galil cards with servo drives. Pretty sure its step and direction only. For control software, take a look at Camsoft. Its expensive and is a bit difficult to learn but its expetremly capable and powerful.

Karl

P.S. If this is too much bucks, tkae a look at LinuxCNC (was called EMC2), scrap out the galil stuff, buy hardware from Jon Elson.

Mach does analogue control with Galil, but does not work with the DMC-1000 series.
    Another option is to use Mach in conjunction with Dynomotion external closed loop USB controller, you could use the same motors & drives.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Mach does analogue control with Galil, but does not work with the DMC-1000 series.
    Another option is to use Mach in conjunction with Dynomotion external closed loop USB controller, you could use the same motors & drives.
    Al.
    Yes I read that about the 1000, that is why I am thinking about a newer galil as one option. I think with the plugin, it converts gcode to the galil command set.
    Are you saying I would not be able to use mach as the controller and go straight to the servo drives? Or that the closed loop hardware controller is a more stable method?

I am not sure how far along Mach has got with the Galil plug in, they were still having some issues last time I checked.
    I am a fan of Galil, I have been using their cards for some years, but the Dynomotion looks like it may be a viable option for the price.
    There is a Dynomotion front end as well as the Mach HMI option to use it in.
    Al.

Albert E.

as said above.. linuxcnc is a real inexpensive option..

Mesa just released this..
    NEW PRODUCT RELEASE: 5I25 PCI “Anything I/O FPGA Card - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

sam

Thanks, looks like I am going to pull the Galil controller and breakout and go with LinuxCNC and the Mesa 5i25 and 7i77 and I should be ready to go.

The 5i25 7i77 is the upgrade route I'm taking on my BP Series 1 Anilam Controller. I used the 5i25 7i76 combo to upgrade my stepper driven plasma cutter. I love them!

John

Plan Change Sticking with Galil

Plan changed from the Mesa 5i25 7i77 linuxcnc setup. This looks like a nice combo which I intend on getting sometime in the future for another project but this machine is going to retain Galil. I found a Galil DMC-1880 and 2 adapters CB-1500-100 that will allow a quick and painless (I hope) upgrade path. The adapters convert the SCSI port to the older ports of the DMC-1100 breakout. No rewiring, controller & PC change only. This setup will use Mach3 and Galil plugin.

I'm interested in hearing how the upgrade to the newer Galil board went.

If anyone is interested I can upgrade the DMC-1010 to DMC-1040.
    Also upgrade firmware to allow for DOS based Operator Interface software, colour operator screens can be drawn up in minutes that downloads programs to the controller in the background and runs when needed.
    Touch screen buttons, display window and data entry prompts.
    Typical applications so far, 3 axis line punch, Tube cut-off lathe, Cincinnatti point-to-point Mill, Back gauges and Breaks.
    Allows real time display of process and variable such as axis positions and time.
    Many example programs.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al, I'm a big fan of galil control cards and have worked with them for over ten years. I normally use the Camsoft HMI but its too expensive for simple applications.

Do you have something for modern PCI bus cards? Nothing wrong with DOS assuming you can still find drivers for today's hardware.

Karl

Unfortunately this software only runs under DOS and the DMC-1000 ISA bus,
    I have some of these systems still working after 20yrs.
    The problem in the future maybe getting ISA PC's.
    I tended to buy Advantech single board PCI PC/s and use a combo Back plane.
    No problem with Galil drivers.
    Al.

Albert E.

The upgrade went very well. The adapters are reasonably priced and Galil shipped quickly. I initially thought the adapters would plug into the cards and my old DMC-1050 cables would plug into the adapters. However, this is not the case. I still needed the newer cables (cable-100-m) intended for the DMC-1880. Hardware route is as follows; DMC-1880 -> Cable-100-M -> CB-1500-10 -> Older 60 pin cables -> ICM-1100.
    The machine was already wired to the ICM-1100's, going this route allowed me to upgrade to a PCI board, Newer computer, Operating System (WinXP), and Mach3 with Galil plugin using G-code without manual conversion, without rewiring. If I could have found the ICM-1900's for a good price adapters would not be need but rewiring would.
    The plugin works well so far far; my only issues with it were configuration.
    1 Description of Limits in plugin config appear to be backwards from the Galil command set.
    2 I was not able to jog off of a limit until I entered ports and pins in the jog entries in setup. (the manual did not mention entering anything for Jog)
    Although I achieved the initial objective of using Mach3 with Galil, through the process I got the opportunity to learn a good amount of the Galil command set. I have to say I really like it. It is intuitive and organized. I wish there was an affordable front end (GUI) that takes the place of Mach3. It would be a bit cleaner in implementation and operation. As I understand, Camsoft is it but nowhere affordable in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmhx2 View Post
    I wish there was an affordable front end (GUI) that takes the place of Mach3. It would be a bit cleaner in implementation and operation. As I understand, Camsoft is it but nowhere affordable in my opinion.
    That has long been a beef of mine, Galil did make an effort to come up with a GUI as per the software I mentioned in above post, but it was dropped with the advent of the PCI cards and Windows.
    This was the reason at that time I switched to Acroloop which not only had a front end but also had built in PLC's.
    I am still running a couple of machines with them.
    Then Parker took them over and that was the end.
    Al.

Albert E.

That has long been a beef of mine, Galil did make an effort to come up with a GUI as per the software I mentioned in above post, but it was dropped with the advent of the PCI cards and Windows.
    This was the reason at that time I switched to Acroloop which not only had a front end but also had built in PLC's.
    I am still running a couple of machines with them.
    Then Parker took them over and that was the end.
    Al.
    Make that two.

I am using a Galil ethernet controller for a "pick and place" type project and am very impressed, would love to use it on my Boss6 bridgeport retrofit.

Re: Galil DMC-1050 controller retrofit

Hey Al, I've been messing around with LinuxCNC and was wondering if you knew of any updates as to whether Galil's 1830 pci controller will work with LinuxCNC?
    I'm looking at upgrading my techno isel srv400 ISA card.

I have never used Linux, Samco may know.
    Al.

Albert E.

No - galil motion cards are not supported by linuxcnc.

I have never used Linux, Samco may know.
    Al.