586,075 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > use a scroll saw table with xy motion to control the cut

use a scroll saw table with xy motion to control the cut

I am new to this cnc stuff but to try out some idea.
    I want to use any good software to control the x y table to move only but keep the scroll saw fix, can I do this with cnc.
    give me some idea or link to learn more about how to do this.
    It will be use to cut ply wood about 1/8 to 1/4" thick, the size of table is about 20x20", the object weight 2-3 lb the most.
    what size of stepper motor and controller is good for this.
    I know most people use parallel port to connect the pc, is usb controller popular on this or not.
    any suggestion welcome.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by avengine View Post
    I am new to this cnc stuff but to try out some idea.
    I want to use any good software to control the x y table to move only but keep the scroll saw fix, can I do this with cnc.
    give me some idea or link to learn more about how to do this.
    It will be use to cut ply wood about 1/8 to 1/4" thick, the size of table is about 20x20", the object weight 2-3 lb the most.
    what size of stepper motor and controller is good for this.
    I know most people use parallel port to connect the pc, is usb controller popular on this or not.
    any suggestion welcome.
    thanks.
    You're probably better off with a cnc router and skip using the scroll saw. The blade of a scroll saw has a lot of deflection. Adding the CNC component would certainly add some accuracy but for a bit more investment of the z axis and router you could really improve the cut.

I like your idea, but I want to make something like the puzzle that the cut line want to be as small as possible, I do have the router and the bit is 1/8" compare to the object that I want to cut, if they are 1"x1" then this 1/8" line is too much for this design, is there any bits is small, durable and reasonable price.
    the scroll saw I have a tool that is only 1/32", the speed is not my major concern, I just want it to be good quality look.
    thanks.

I found a few 1/16" bits with 1/4" cutting depth with a quick search on google.

I find it too.
    on the motor, controller and the software, where is the good place to start. there are ton of link, but I want to find someone that is knowing what they sell and reasonable price is all I need. I like to make something easy to feel the water then go deep into it.
    thanks.

Your best bet is to go through some build logs. There are a few really good ones in the DIY section that span over many pages. More pages the better.

After giving it some thought using a scroll or any flat bladed cutting tool would be a pain to set up cutting paths. You would have to take into account the direction of the blade during the cut. Not even sure where to begin with that.

that is not the problem of my scroll saw, I am using a 1/32" 360 deg saw blade that can run in any direction, and that is another reason why I want to use a machine to control the movement, the pattern is like a matrix, therefore I need some software that can optimize the path better to save time.
    and the stepper motor accuracy can be <0.1mm is good enough. is nema 23 motor good enough for this. the load is only 2-3 lb the most.
    any suggestion.

There is that waterjet cake cutter that could work with a scroll saw, though you can get 1/16" spiral-o-flute bits that will easily cut plywood... Onsrud has them...