586,096 active members*
3,779 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Extrude curve or surface

Extrude curve or surface

Hi,

I am playing around with this and when I do the extrude it shows up but there does not seem to be any caps. I should mention that this is text that I am extruding. How can I be certain that there are caps on the text?

Thanks,

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieD View Post
    Hi,

I am playing around with this and when I do the extrude it shows up but there does not seem to be any caps. I should mention that this is text that I am extruding. How can I be certain that there are caps on the text?

Thanks,

Ernie
    Ernie

I think you will have to use the "Planar" surfacing to get a cap on extruded text if you are having a problem with it, did you "Vectorize" your text ??

If you also want the bottom capped then you could always extrude your new surface down to create a bottom cap.

Or just select "Along Z axis" instead of "Along Normal", that should do it :-) :-) But it should work OK on either, does here :-) :-)

Rob

:rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

No Caps would be an indication that the curves are either non-planar or open.

I don't use bobcad, but with the systems I do, another common cause I see with extruding fonts is some are self intersecting. So there might be a little curl in your profile somewhere that the cad doesn't really mind extruding as a surface, but is confused when you want to cap or make solid.

I have had worst case scenarios with specialized fonts that forced me to edit the fonts so I could avoid the open or self intersecting issues. That was worst case, and I would hope very unlikely for most well developed fonts.

I may be repeating what MadTooler said, as I am not sure I really understood as He is talking over my head a bit , but it's funny I should see this thread this evening as I encountered this just this morning.

The Chase:
    All that aside, I found if the profiles are not properly chained, I E not connected it will build walls with no cap. So just select trim 2 entities and connect them up and it should cap the walls.
    HTH
    JS
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.