586,102 active members*
2,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with CNC!

Hi, I'm fairly new to this and I'm trying to build my own cnc router, and I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could help me out with.

I cant get the motor to spin, and I believe it's because I don't understand the software I'm using. (mach 3) I followed a tutorial on the web, but I't still didn't move. The cotrol board is blinking, so there's power.. Maybe my wiring is wrong? (my wiring from the power source to my control board is okay) I've checked with the manufacturer of both my control board, and my motors, but they don't have much information available. The control board came with a cd with some user-manual .DOC's but it's all scrambled text:tired: I really want to get this working, so maybe some of you can tell me what to do, or give me a hint/tips/link so that I can learn how to get control over my motors? Im a fast learner

Photos of my setup: Controller Whole setup

My power source: 220v - 24v / 15A __ Here it is on ebay

My control board: Toshiba tb6560 __ Here it is on ebay

Stepper motors: Nema 23 / 290oz-in 2phase __ Here it is on ebay

If your motor is energized and holding, you are not getting your step/direction signal to the drive. If your motor is not on and holding, you must have a wiring problem.

Can you post a screen shot of your Mach3 "Ports and pins" configuration?

I believe that you will need to change some of your pin assignments, however I do not have a list of the three-axis TB6560 board pins handy. You may find one within the following thread (but it is a very long one):

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...y_chinese.html

You need to have X, Y and Z axis enable signals sent to your board.

You may also have to change the pin assignments for the X, Y and Z axis step and direction signals.

The following settings are for a four-axis TB6560 board, but I am not sure whether or not they are the same for the three-axis boards:

X axis:

step 16
    dir 1
    enable 4

Y axis:

step 14
    dir 7
    enable 17

Z axis:

step 3
    dir 6
    enable 5

Also, I can not read your LPT port assignment hex address clearly - but if you have successfully run the Mach3 driver test then it should be OK

Mach3 - 27,000 set up screens OH MY, I'M LOST!

Hello

I hope you got your machine running.

If you are still having trouble with pin numbers, maybe this suggestion will help. There are a couple of “dos” programs, like Mach3, only very basic, and they are free, and very simple to set up. This will give that old PC of yours with windows 95 something to do, just tell it to boot up in “dos”. Try Yeager Automation “cnc pro”. I believe you can download it from a yahoo group, probably called “cnc pro”? Another is turbo cnc. They don’t support the pulse stream for a “charge pump” but they have maybe 3% of the set up things that mach3 has. In your case, you need to get motion going, after you see your machine run, then deal with Mach3.
    Yahoo! Groups: Search Results
    DAK Engineering - TurboCNC Download

Good Luck, Bill

Another thing that's crucial

is to go into BIOS and make sure your parallel port is in EPP mode. If your pin-out's correct and the motors lock up but don't respond to commands, that could be the issue. A parallel port cable that doesn't have all the pins connected from one end to the other is another common cause of this problem.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.

One of my machinists is running a Doosan Puma L cnc lathe. He is wondering if turning spindle ccw (m4-so the pressure is forced down on the turret) for heavy roughing would be easier on turcite and clamping bars of machine, than CW (m3 - pulling upwards away from the x axis). Just had new turcite put on ways and want to make it last. Mostly steel parts

Go into Mach and go into....

Ports and Pins/Input signals,down the list is E-stop,disable that temporary and see if the motor runs?
    Do check whist in ports and pins your parrallel port corrosponds to what the port is on your computer and its enabled in mach.