586,094 active members*
4,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Movable vise stop

Have been needing a vise stop for some time. Stumbled across the right piece of bar stock last night and carved out a very simple stop.

Have a project coming up where I need to build about 2000 like parts. Each part needs to be inserted in the vise three different times, but this stop would be in the way for some of the operations.

I'd like to have build a similar stop, but with a folding arm which I could stand the arm up, put a new piece of material in the vise, then fold the arm back down (in the Y direction).

Anyone ever seen such a stop, or have any idea how to construct one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vise stop 001.jpg   Vise stop 002.jpg  

Your clamp kit makes a perfect stop....
    Long stud screwed into a T-nut, and locked to the table with a nut.
    On the upper end, 2 nuts sandwiching a slotted clamp..Voila!!

Pro Mill Stop

Check out Edge Technology, They have a couple of nice looking edge mill stops and prices are good.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wantacnc View Post
    Pro Mill Stop

Check out Edge Technology, They have a couple of nice looking edge mill stops and prices are good.
    Joe
    Looks very fine, and I just ordered one.

Thanks

Tom

In certain situations, we drop a chucked up dowel pin or spot drill down to locate the part against while clamping. No stop whatsoever to worry about hitting while machining. It depends on the scenario but has its place from time to time. The Pro mil stop looks nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by dak1 View Post
    In certain situations, we drop a chucked up dowel pin or spot drill down to locate the part against while clamping. No stop whatsoever to worry about hitting while machining. It depends on the scenario but has its place from time to time. The Pro mil stop looks nice also.
    A friend here locally was telling me the same thing yesterday also.

This particular job involves about 2000 parts, each of which must be inserted in the vise three different times, each for a single operation. Piece gets inserted once on edge, and a round-over bit makes one fast pass down the length to round one corner.
    Then the same piece is turned over and the opposite edge gets a fast pass with the same bit. After all the parts have had two edges rounded, it gets put back in the vise with the flat side down, and gets a dozen holes drilled. Then the strip of bar stock goes back to the band saw, and cut into three identical pieces.

Finally realized that although position in the vise is critical for the drilling operation, it's not for the round-over operation. And a stop will get in the way of the round-over operation, but not in the way of the drilling operation.

But the pro mill stock will come in handy for other operations.

Tom

Maybe you could use an indexer with a 4 jaw scroll chuck and only have 1 set-up.
    or make a simple trunnion fixture in the indexer.
    I know I would figure some way to do it in my 4th axis with that many parts.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

You can use a gauge block between your stop and your piece to get a repeatable stop but still have it out of the way.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    You can use a gauge block between your stop and your piece to get a repeatable stop but still have it out of the way.

Matt
    That's another interesting idea.

My Edge Technology Pro Stop came this morning.

It looks like a well designed piece of tooling.

Also looks like some of the parts are interchangeable between the table mounted stop and the vise mounted stop.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Have been needing a vise stop for some time. Stumbled across the right piece of bar stock last night and carved out a very simple stop.

Have a project coming up where I need to build about 2000 like parts. Each part needs to be inserted in the vise three different times, but this stop would be in the way for some of the operations.

I'd like to have build a similar stop, but with a folding arm which I could stand the arm up, put a new piece of material in the vise, then fold the arm back down (in the Y direction).

Anyone ever seen such a stop, or have any idea how to construct one?
    If you have a tool changer 'put a long pin in a tool holder and call it up in each program and move it to the location of the load

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    If you have a tool changer 'put a long pin in a tool holder and call it up in each program and move it to the location of the load
    I don't have a tool changer. Oh, how I wish that I did.

Have an Erickson Quick Change 30 spindle and tool holders. Takes me several minutes to change tool holders.

And this project is for about 2000 parts, which would involve about 6000 tool changes.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post

And this project is for about 2000 parts, which would involve about 6000 tool changes.

Tom
    i hear you there , my record is 618 tool changes by hand in an eight hour shift

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    i hear you there , my record is 618 tool changes by hand in an eight hour shift
    Wow !