586,104 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Micro drop

Micro drop

Has anyone ever tried too build there own micro drop system , would love to hear the results, I'm using air too blow chips , but might get better tool life with the odd drop of coolant or cutting fluid
    Cheers guys
    Riche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walking through home depot or Lowes I noticed the garden drip feeders and wondered if they would work.

The dippers are .5 gallons an hour or 1 gallon an hour but that is at water pressure levels 30 PSI ? I would imagine that could be regulated down with a pressure regulator.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Hi kregan
    Thanks for reply , will check those out next time I'm in hardware store here in oz,
    Cheers thanks
    Riche.

How about automatic air tool oilers? You can get them rather cheap at places like harbor freight, and a lot of them have adjustable drop amounts.

Thanks for replies , tool oilers look like they could work , but couldn't find any here in Australia . Thinking about trying too make my own using a needle valve flow control into air line & see if gravity would do the trick ? . what's your thoughts on trying too drop into air line or running separate line just for coolant drops ?

Riche

Quote Originally Posted by riche543 View Post
    Thanks for replies , tool oilers look like they could work , but couldn't find any here in Australia .
    G 1 Filter/Regulator + Lubricator : Az Pneumatics : Australia
    There must be less expensive ones available at hardware stores, you do have something like a hardware store I hope.

One possible problem with using a pneumatic oiler is that the air and oil get mixed at the oiler. The MQL system I have been using at work, AccuLube, has a small tube inside the air tube to deliver the oil to the nozzle where it is mixed with the air.
    Supposely this makes for more consistent oil delivery.

Given the relative prices it is worth a try anyway.

I built the fog buster a couple of weeks ago and posted pics in my build thread here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1061883

It works well but I find the straight brass tube required to be to restrictive. If I am working with deep slots in two different directions one of the slots do not get the chips blown out and I end up cutting chips twice.

Something like this unit with 2 nozzles would work better for me.

Catalog63

I am considering purchasing it since the price is reasonable but I may experiment with my current setup a little more before I decide.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    How about automatic air tool oilers? You can get them rather cheap at places like harbor freight, and a lot of them have adjustable drop amounts.

Looking over the patent for the system I posted the link for it is based on a automatic air tool oilier.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

If you are looking just for a drip lubricator, hare & forbes sell one that could easily be copied...

P220 | CB-2 Gravity Feed Coolant System | machineryhouse.com.au

Yep the gravity fed drop system looks promising , as long as you can limit the drops enough so that you only get minimum coolant needed.
    Cheers thanks for replies
    Riche.

Has anyone here tried and inline tool oiler. I have been looking at different setups and this looks promising. I will probably get one of the SMC oilers as you can regulate the amount easily and see the amount of drops being fed into the air line.

I have always used flood coolant in the past but looking at better options and getting rid of coolant altogether. We already have airblowers setup on the machines and I just need a way of introducing a small amount of oil into the system.

I have heard that a mister system can cause problems with oil deposits everywhere but a quality tool oiler that you can regulate down to 1-2 drops / minute should not cause this issue as the oil will be burned of in the chips before it becomes a problem

Anyone have any thoughts.
    When you come to a fork in the road take it

Gazman

Yep this is what I'm looking for , I'm having ok results using air , but too spit out the odd drop of coolant that would be burnt up in the chips but allow for slightly faster feed & a better finish would be great that's why I ask if the drops on these tool oilers can be limited too 1 drop per min or 30 secs. ?
    Riche..

http://www.smcaus.com.au/files/produ...9093507__1.pdf

This is the SMC lubricator I am considering. I can be regulated from 5 drops/minute down. There is a little sightglass on top that you can count the drops to get the corrct regulation.
    When you come to a fork in the road take it

Quote Originally Posted by GazMann View Post
    Has anyone here tried and inline tool oiler. I have been looking at different setups and this looks promising. I will probably get one of the SMC oilers as you can regulate the amount easily and see the amount of drops being fed into the air line.
    The second link on post #9 takes you to a catalog page for a system that is based on an inline oiler. Then if you search Google patents for the patent numbers listed on that page, you can see what modifications they made to the oiler...

bob