586,042 active members*
3,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > How to removing a pulley from a motor ??

How to removing a pulley from a motor ??

I hope that this is the correct forum for this question.

The pulley consists of interlocked inner and outer rings. There are no setscrews on the pulley and it maybe held by friction. The set collar behind the pulley is not connected to the pulley.

Would someone be able to tell me how to remove the pulley without damaging the motor?

Thanks.

If you feel that it is safe to take the motor apart without demagnetizing it, I would look for some long screws that run full length of the motor, and remove them, hoping for the endbells of the motor to come off. After this, then you should be able to slide the armature out of the stator housing, with the pulley, endbell and armature, and press the motor shaft out of the pulley using a puller to grab the endbell, or a small press would likely be better.

Perhaps a special puller could be built to sneak into the space between the pulley and the housing. This could be a piece of tubing with a flange and nut welded on the top end for the puller screw to pass through to the end of the shaft, and on the other end, drill a couple of pairs of parallel cross holes spaced the width of the shaft apart (or whatever) so you could slide a couple of pins through the holes to catch underneath the bottom flanges of the pulley.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Is there enough meat on the inside of the pulley to tap a couple of threads? If so, you may be able to tap it, and drive the pulley off with a bolt.

It's probably pressed on. Not much room for a gear puller, with that part surrounding the pulley. If you didn't care about the pulley, you could cut the pulley off with a grinder/cut-off wheel. Just be carful not to cut/nick the shaft of the motor.
    Will the part surrounding the pulley come of, without the pulley being removed?

For what it's worth, if all else fails.
    I had the same problem with two motors I got on ebay that had aluminum pulleys I couldn't use. Just last night, I applied heat (not too much) to the pulleys with a common propane torch. The pulleys then dropped right off. Be careful directing the flame and don't heat for a lengthy time to prevent the heat from traveling into the motor shaft. I Cooled the shaft end right away after pulley removal.

Drill and tap 2 holes 180 degrees from each other into the pulley face. Then 2 bolts thru a spreader bar an threaded into the pulley. In the middle of the bar there is a hole for a bolt to be threaded into. Tighten the center bolt onto the motor shaft to remove the pulley. Like using a steering wheel puller. Some auto parts stores rent them.

Or like Bloy said, hit it with a propane torch. The aluminum will expand faster than the steel shaft when heated and fall off.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

There are 3 motors. I'll try the drill/tap and pull approach, with or without some heat, on one motor. Then it may be possible to get a better understanding of how the pulley is attached.

Thanks again.