586,068 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help with Anilam Crusader II

Hello been searching here for lots of great info but I coulnt find an answer to my issue so I thought I would ask. I have a very nice series I Bridgeport with an Anilam Crusader II control. The control comes on and displays properly according to the manual. I am trying to advance the X,Y and Z axis in the rapid traverse, the x and y seem good the z pops the servo motor relay when I try to andvance it. Another thing I noticed is that the x and y servo motors have a high pitched sound but the z does not. Additionally the x and y axis can not be moved by hand once the servos are turned on but the z axis only resists movement in one direction. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I gather by reading that these are problematic controls but this unit seems to be very nearly new in terms of use so perhaps if I can get it working and I can get some use from it before I will have to upgrade.

Talking

Hey Steve, real quick, clear the TLO for the selected tool for the Z. in the tool page you can select 1 or 0. I believe it's 0. Are you already @ the travel limit for the Z axis? I would say the Z moving manually takes both of your arms pulling on it right? The machine allows you to move it off the limit but not advance beyond it.
    For X, Y. make sure the table locks are free. Snugged locks might be bogging the motors. At Retrofit I think they usually take them out. Once the servos are enabled you will not be able to manually move the axis, the motors now control them, this is a good thing!! I noticed the motor noise as well and I think it's just because their not enclosed like on a VMC. Do you have the Manuals? I like the Anilams alot! Bridgeport, Hoo Rah!
    Best Advise, Don't think too much. These controllers are that Friendly

BZ thanks for the reply. Couple things I should clarify. I am definitely off the limit switches on the z axis and the machine is in the manual mode while I am trying to rapid traverse the z axis. The z axis is not extremely difficult to move with the quill feed, but I dont think I should be able to move it at all when the servo motors are on. The x and Y are working as they should and when the servo motors are turned on the axis cannot be moved by rotating the handwheel it only be moved by using the X+or X- and the Y+, Y-. When I try the Z+ or Z- it trips out the servo motor relay and the servo motor does not resist movement of the quill by hand like the x and y do. As far as the sound that the motors make the x and y make the sound z does not which leads me to believe there is some sort of problem with the z servo circuit , not sure how to troubleshoot from here

Hi Steve, I'd bet 10 bucks that one of the output transistors of the servo amplifier card has gone bad, hence torque in one direction only. You can swap out the Z amplifier card for one of the X/Y cards and the Z should work while the other axis does what the Z did. Mark wiring on each amp very carefully before you swap them. They might not all be wired the same.
    Best of luck! Tim

Thanks Tim I was thinking along those lines but I wasnt sure if it would be ok to do that. I will try the swap and report what I find. Can the output transformers be repaired or will the entire board need swapped out? Thanks

I'm not sure who can fix them. I worked for Anilam but that wasn't my bag. They were bought from a company called Glentek out in California. Anilam/Heidenhain might have replacements still. You can buy parts through dealers or MSC supply. Or ebay...