586,700 active members*
2,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Need some CNC guidance

Hello all, I am a newbie here. Mostly I work in wood and plastics, and have not had much need for metal in the things I have made, or at least not a need that I couldn't solve. Now, though, I have a problem beyond my present abilities.

I have invented a new product, the Kandle Heeter(TM) Candle Holder. It consists of an internested group of ceramics around a central steel core that is suspended above a candle flame. The steel and ceramics absorb the heat from the flame and build up to a radiating temperature. You actually get significant heat from the burning candle.

The radiating unit is suspended above the candle by means of a threee legged steel stand. The first production run was made by trimming, bending, and bolting 6"x6" flat corner braces. I have designed a modular leg that would be best stamped out of 14 guage, but can't go the tooling costs yet. So, CNC plasma cutter is the way to go, but the quotes I have gotten back have put the stand way out of reach for production of a 24.95 retail item. Three 1,000 piece runs buys a new CNC machine. Steel costs are about 200 bucks for a run.

So, unless someone here wants to see my leg and can produce reasonalbly, I need to produce myself. I am planning on my second production run to be a steel brazed assembly of 6 pieces, 3 uprights and 3 connectors. But I need to go to a plasma cut shape as soon as possible.

In my looking around on the net, I came across a "planograph" plotter device that is used with a plasma cutter. Anybody have one they are not using? This would make a good fourth production run unit. Or does someone have a CNC plasma machine that is not being used because you have upgraded? (Maybe?)

I am open to guidance here. So please don't be shy. The design leg is 6-3/4 high, 5-3/4 long, the up leg is 1" wide, the short leg is 3/4" wide. The "heel" of the "L" shape nests into the angle of its neighbor maximising the production.

I'll check back later tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for any and all input.

Seafire

Post a picture of the leg someone here may can help you out. If all else fails I have a wood/plasma machine for sale in the classifieds section.

Thanks

Thanks, I will try and figure out how to do that. And I will check out your ad. Right now I have temporaily moved to a six part welded design for the next production run, and if it works well, will do another. I need to pick up a MIG machine that will do a fillet weld across three pieces of 1/8" stock. The bead is only 1" long, so I want to go as inexpensively as possible. Any suggestions.

Seafire