586,114 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > How To cut a sheet of Stainless Steel

How To cut a sheet of Stainless Steel

A friend of mine gave me as a gift a supernice sheet of stainless steel (0.5mm / .02" thickness) that I want to use in my router to cover certain parts.

The sheet is big, around 1 x 1.5mts so there is plenty of space for try&error but I dont have a clue on what is the best way to make a clean cut thru it.

So, whats your best advice for cutting this sheet?

Thanks

Pablo

Ideally a shear/brake. but how many of us have one of those???
    you could use a grinder and a cut off wheel if you got a steady hand...
    menomana

Quote Originally Posted by trubleshtr
    Ideally a shear/brake. but how many of us have one of those???
    Me , nice big cast iron 4' Brown Boggs, hey it was cheap, but that doesn't help you Argentina

I'd use hand tools. its only .020, with good hand snips it will cut easily....but do get good ones, the cheap ones are just frustrating. Wise calls them patterns snips, I’ve found them to be good
    http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/wiss/index.cfm?model_list=1&att_id=WIS002&att1=Snips&att2=Tinner's

If you want to get fancier and cut radii you can get left and right cutting aircraft (compound) snips

another tool for the shop hope these are not expensive

Thanks

Pablo

A couple of other options, depending on what sort of shapes you want to cut.
    If you want to do curves:
    Perhaps a Beverly (throatless) shear. Here's a cheapo Harbor Freight version http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38413

Maybe a nibbler....HF options http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46061
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91739
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43063

Or perhaps an in line shear:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36568

If you're just after straight cuts, you can't beat a good ol stomp shear, though it would be pretty cost prohibitive for just one project. That being said, I have a 36" Pexto shear that gets constant use.

At only .020", I would be awfully tempted to let the router have a whack at it using a single flute Onsrud bit like this: http://www.onsrud.com/Products.asp?A...1%3A12%3A14+AM
    I have not tried this personaly, but .020 is awfully thin stuff. You would probably be albe to tell if it's a go or no in the first inch or so.

Unabiker, one of the links you provided appears to work like a die grinder which I have:

What tool do I need to cut the sheet with it?

Thanks

Pablo

I've been able to use a jig saw just fine. A bit slow, but it works.

-Jeff

I would like to be able to cut 17 ga. SS sheet. I have been using a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, but a cleaner, quieter method would be great. I have a shopbuilt throatless shear, but it is only capable of soft metals such as brass and aluminum. What type of material do the blades need to be made of? Hardness? etc?

Dave

I have cut with a jig saw also & works good. if you are going to grind the edges use breathing filter of some kind. You only get one set of lungs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peu
    Unabiker, one of the links you provided appears to work like a die grinder which I have:
    Pablo,
    All of those nibblers that I linked work like a punch. There is a little die that moves up and down an punches out a little chunk of material. When it's cutting, it will shoot out little toe nail shaped bits of metal.
    I think the one you are talking about actualy goes in a drill. A die grinder would probably turn way too fast.
    I've got this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46061
    It would easily cut that .020" sheet. You can also get a replacement foot and die if need be. It's not the highest quality tool in my arsenal, but at $29.99, it doesn't need to be either.

Dave,
    I'm not sure what material the blades on my Beverly shear are made of. If I had to guess, I's say probably hardened high carbon steel. That particular shear of mine is probably at least 50 years old. I think the blades' sharpness is more important than thier ultimate hardness.

I need to cut a 4foot x 2.5foot sheet of aluimum into several pieces. None of the pieces will have round edges. The aluminum is 1/4" thick. Im thinking of using a zipcut (grinder abrasive wheel) on a skillsaw. Would this be an okay route to go? It is the "free" route for me but if its not gonna work at all then ill have to do something different.

energy, I've never done this so check around first to make sure, but there lots of acounts of doing so with a table saw or skill saw with a regular carbide tipped blade - the main danger seems to be they give one hell of a kickback.

Unabiker,

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Unabiker
    I think the blades' sharpness is more important than thier ultimate hardness.
    After I put the shear together, I tested it and it would cut notebook paper, as well as 1/8" aluminum and thinner brass. I did try one piece of 17ga. SS and all it did was nick the edges, so I haven't tried it again. Actually, this particular shear was a test to see how successfully I could make one using scrap in the shop, and was intended to cut aluminum, which like I mentioned, it does quite well. But because it was scrap, the blades are only mild steel. I would like to make another to cut SS, because this was very economical, and if I don't have to spend $300 on material for blades, I think I can do so.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by energyforce
    I need to cut a 4foot x 2.5foot sheet of aluimum into several pieces. None of the pieces will have round edges. The aluminum is 1/4" thick. Im thinking of using a zipcut (grinder abrasive wheel) on a skillsaw. Would this be an okay route to go? It is the "free" route for me but if its not gonna work at all then ill have to do something different.
    I would be very wary of trying this method. Aluminum will gum up pretty quickly on an abrasive wheel. The best that may happen is the wheel will load up and not cut anymore. The possiblities of a wicked kick-back are pretty high. It's also possible that the blade could hang up suddenly and blow apart.
    You would probably be better off using a metal cutting blade in a jig saw to cut it on the cheap. I've used a bi-metal blade on a sawzall in a pinch too.

Quote Originally Posted by whateg01

After I put the shear together, I tested it and it would cut notebook paper, as well as 1/8" aluminum and thinner brass. I did try one piece of 17ga. SS and all it did was nick the edges, so I haven't tried it again.

17ga. is starting to get a bit thicker, at least as far as stainless goes. It's probably more than what my Beverly shear would be happy with.
    For that, I would be more likely to use the band saw, shifted down into low, low gear with a bit of cutting oil. I'd much rather trash $10.99 worth of bandsaw blade instead of the blades on the shear.