586,072 active members*
4,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco KMB1 Retrofit

Hurco KMB1 Retrofit

I picked up a 1980 KMB1 with a bad servo board a couple months ago. Instead of repairing it I'm in the process of retrofitting with mach3.

The question I have now is on the VFD. I have attached spec plates for the old VFD and motor.

The old VFD says it is 5HP, the motor plate says that its a 2HP motor. I'm not finding a 5HP VFD that runs from 1PH power. Highest one I have found so far is a 3HP. I'm assuming that I should be fine running the motor with the 3HP unit since the original was a 5HP unit.

Is it worth down grading to a 3HP VFD?

This machine is in a home/hobby shop. Would be nice to have a 5HP spindle but not really sure how that works when the motor is only rated for 2HP.

This is the 3600RPM spindle according to the manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD.jpg   MOTOR2.jpg  

Well I have the VFD on order. Think I got that straightened out.

Next question I have is I'm looking for some info on an encoder. This is from a 'B' model KMB1 mill. I pulled it off the X-Axis. Its of a newer vintage then the Y and Z axis encoders. But have not been able to get anything from the MFG yet.

The MFG is BEI and the only numbers on the unit are "mx21-566" "date code 9842". Trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to use these or if I'm going to need to order some new ones.

If I understand it correctly I could use 500 count encoders and use 4x on my drive to get 2000 counts per revolution. The ball screws are .200/rev which would give me (.200/2000 = 0.0001 resolution).

I have not been able to find out what the stock encoder count was on a 'B' model KMB1.

I'm looking for any info on this as to what the encoder count is and what each wire is. Need to try and figure out how to connect this to my Dugong drive.

Wire colors coming out of the unit are; black, white, green, orange and red.

Will try and get some pictures of the retrofit posted.

Finished fabrication of the new control panel arm and box. Well have that painted tomorrow and hopefully installed on Tuesday.

I can then start installing the electronics. Kflop, Kanalog, DG2S-16035 (Dugong) drives, TECO 7300CV VFD, 17" ELO touch panel. Going to use Mach3 since that is what I run my router.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well found out from Hurco that the encoders are 200 count. Not what I has hoping for but oh well. They didn't have any info on the pin of the wires so still trying to find some info on that. Here are couple of pictures of the encoder and the wire end. Hopefully someone knows or has a pin out for these encoders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails encoder.JPG   wire-end.JPG