586,100 active members*
2,592 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Loose wire on a GT-20.

While cleaning our GT-20, which has run steady for the past 3 years, one of my operators came across an unconnected (green/yellow) wire on the back of the machine, just above the lube rack.

The ring terminal shows no sign of ever being connected, nor is there an unused stud near it.

By tracing the wire back to its origin, it looks like this is the bonding wire for the turret. Having gone through a CSA special inspection myself (for equipment that we built), I know that the bonding wire is important (i.e. continuity across the linear ways/bearings is not an acceptable method for bonding).

I've talked to the local HFO, but they couldn't find it in their documentation.

Does anyone else have a GT-20 with the turret? Could you check to see where the wire connects to?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012_01_31-wire-1.jpg   2012_01_31-wire-2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ckirchen View Post
    While cleaning our GT-20, which has run steady for the past 3 years, one of my operators came across an unconnected (green/yellow) wire on the back of the machine, just above the lube rack.

The ring terminal shows no sign of ever being connected, nor is there an unused stud near it.

By tracing the wire back to its origin, it looks like this is the bonding wire for the turret. Having gone through a CSA special inspection myself (for equipment that we built), I know that the bonding wire is important (i.e. continuity across the linear ways/bearings is not an acceptable method for bonding).

I've talked to the local HFO, but they couldn't find it in their documentation.

Does anyone else have a GT-20 with the turret? Could you check to see where the wire connects to?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Looks like a chassis ground. I would just find any available screw head that will give good contact and attache the wire there.