586,102 active members*
2,541 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Using the Awesome G540 for 3D Printing

Using the Awesome G540 for 3D Printing

I posted some time ago about using Mach3 with an existing cnc machine to do 3D FDM printing . The needed additions are a 4th axis to run an extruder stepper motor, a PID thermostatic temperature controller and a build bed.
    Mach3 runs a old XYZ stage that I have had for 15 years and was used for drill printed circuit boards. The advantage of the machine were that the XY axis have ballscrews and thus are very precise. The XY stages are on precision linear guides.
    I mounted a stepper plastruder extruder on the Z axis and wired it the a dual extruder and build bed temperature controller. For drivers I used the awesome Geckodrive G540. The 4 axis driver was a perfect fit. It runs the machine flawlessly.I use a stock version of Mach3 latest lock down with a profile that I set up. I d/led a program called Slic3r form slic3r.org . This program takes stl files and slices the object in the many layers and most importantly produces a G code file compatible with Mach3. Importantly, there are 3 tutorials on 3D printing. In particular was how to calibrate the extruder steps per unit. This calibration procedure greatly improved the quaility of my 3d Prints. Yesterday I printed a hollow ABS duck from a file that I d/led from thingiverse. While the output was not perfect it did come out remarkably good. The reason for the problem area were mainly due to the stl file that I d/led. When I ran slic3r it reported that there were manifold errors in the stl file. Manifold errors are holes or gaps in the file thus from the pictures you can see the results in the top view of the printed duck. Considering there was no internal support structure or infill and the walls are only .098" thick, I think it came out very good. Should you decide to use your cnc machine for 3d printing you need to consider the time that it takes to run a part and your machine should have nearly zero backlash and ballscrews. BUt afgain hats off to the folks at Geckodrive for providing a product that I just can't speak highly enough of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails duck1 (1) (Small).JPG  

Awesome print! This is my first post on CNCZone, but I've been trolling on here for years. I would LOVE to see more info about how you've got this all set up. I'm just about to nab a G540 for my Joe's 4x4 hybrid CNC machine that I'm building, but I've been thinking about grabbing a 2nd one to go along with my RepRap Prusa that's currently Arduino controlled with a RAMPS 1.4 board and Pololu stepper drivers.

Are you manually controlling the PID or is Mach3 somehow doing it for you? Is your build bed heated or no? Any chance you'd be willing to share more pictures of your setup and potentially a wiring diagram as well? Forgive me for not knowing Mach3 well enough yet (I don't even have the software yet), but is it also possible for you to share your profile?

Basically it is just a cnc machine that I added a makergear stepper plastruder as the extruder head. I used a Gnexlab standalone (no input from Mach3 is needed) temperature controller for the extruder and build platform. It does have PID and hold the temperature to within 1 degree. I use a program called Slic3r to create the G code from the stl file. Of course the G540 controls the machine flawlessly.
    Dan Mauch

Quote Originally Posted by Emulsifide View Post
    Awesome print! This is my first post on CNCZone, but I've been trolling on here for years. I would LOVE to see more info about how you've got this all set up. I'm just about to nab a G540 for my Joe's 4x4 hybrid CNC machine that I'm building, but I've been thinking about grabbing a 2nd one to go along with my RepRap Prusa that's currently Arduino controlled with a RAMPS 1.4 board and Pololu stepper drivers.

Are you manually controlling the PID or is Mach3 somehow doing it for you? Is your build bed heated or no? Any chance you'd be willing to share more pictures of your setup and potentially a wiring diagram as well? Forgive me for not knowing Mach3 well enough yet (I don't even have the software yet), but is it also possible for you to share your profile?

Very cool. So is this the PID temperature controller you're using?

Extruder Controller (Standalone) - GnexlabStore

A little pricey especially aftering dropping money down on two G540s for my projects. I guess I can probably use the Sprinter firmware for Arudiuno and Pronterface to keep tabs on the extruder and heat bed for temperature control. It would be cool if I could get Mach3 to interface with the Arduino somehow so that it can automatically maintain temperature control and/or cut power to it at the end of the print or an emergency stop.

Within Mach3, does your profile just line up the extruder G-code with a specific stepper and it runs without doing anything further? Again, forgive me for not knowing Mach3 yet. Also, thank you for replying back.

I have attached the xml file that I use on my machine. To upload it I had to change the .xml to .txt . Enjoy!
    You will have to change various parameters such as the velocity and steps per unit.

The most important thing is to calibrate the extruder steps per mm for proper feed rates

Dan Mauch

A little pricey especially aftering dropping money down on two G540s for my projects. I guess I can probably use the Sprinter firmware for Arudiuno and Pronterface to keep tabs on the extruder and heat bed for temperature control. It would be cool if I could get Mach3 to interface with the Arduino somehow so that it can automatically maintain temperature control and/or cut power to it at the end of the print or an emergency stop.

Within Mach3, does your profile just line up the extruder G-code with a specific stepper and it runs without doing anything further? Again, forgive me for not knowing Mach3 yet. Also, thank you for replying back.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little pricey especially
    I bought one of these and haven't used it yet. I have a Makerbot and was thinking of using this board on my X3 mill but don't have the time. I'll sell the board for half price $125/2 = $62 + $7 for shipping by USPS to US locations. I am in Maryland. PM me if interested.

So Mach3 controls the extruder stepper as a 4th axis, or as a spindle? And I assume you just run it through your G540 or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    So Mach3 controls the extruder stepper as a 4th axis, or as a spindle? And I assume you just run it through your G540 or whatever?
    That is correct. I use the A axis on the G540 and Mach3 to control the extruder. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by dmauch View Post
    That is correct. I use the A axis on the G540 and Mach3 to control the extruder. Works great.
    Awesome. Has anyone gotten a dual extruder setup working?

Hi mate, I replied you last week. could you spend 10 mins to help me resolve my questions? cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ar design View Post
    Awesome. Has anyone gotten a dual extruder setup working?
    Hi dmauch

I read your words and I find it is really useful for my final year project.
    Now I am doing a project named Fast phototyping of 3D printing system. The main purpose is to convert a existing engraving machine to a 3D printer, and make sure the converted 3D printer can use proper software to print plastic products.

The engraving machine use the Gecrodrive G540 as its core board, now I try to put a StepStruder® MK7 to replace the existing head, this stepstruder can also controls the temperature and I think I do not need to put something like a Gnexlab standalone ,right?

You said the software you used is Mach3 , I am a new comer of this field so I do not know about it. I only know that when we use the 3D printer, we will use the Replicator G as the main software, isn't it ? What is the links between these two ? If the modification of the machine complete, what software should I use to control the GecroDrive G540 ?

Also one supersisor he told me it is necessary to make a small PCB board between the Gecrodrive G540 and the Motherboard within the Makerbot 3D printer as these two parts cannot be connected together directly. But I am not sure about this. I just think after the modification, one computer can control the Gecro Driver G540 and the machine can work separately as a 3D printer. there is no need to connect to another 3D printer when it works. is that right ?

The stepstruder does not control the temperature it simply heats the filament to the temperature set by the temp controller.
    Yes I use the Gnexlab Temperature controller.
    go www.machsuport.com and d/l the latest lockdown version. But be warned that in the demo modfe it will only allow 500 lines of code to be run. A licensed copy is only $159 from me and weill run unlimited size files.

Connect the G540 to the PC that has Mach3 . Connect the Gnexlab controller to the stepsrtruder. Thats it. Mach3 provides the signals to the G540 and moves the XYZ stepper motors on your engraver. The Gnexlab temp controller is used to set the extruders temperature and maintain it. The biggest problem is calibrating the extruders feed rate.
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc

Thank you Dan
    And so when I finished the engraving machine modification, there is no need to use the software Replicator G for the printing process. Right?

[QUOTE=dmauch;1247467]The stepstruder does not control the temperature it simply heats the filament to the temperature set by the temp controller.
    Yes I use the Gnexlab Temperature controller.
    go www.machsuport.com and d/l the latest lockdown version. But be warned that in the demo modfe it will only allow 500 lines of code to be run. A licensed copy is only $159 from me and weill run unlimited size files.

Hi My supervisor told me we will use the software Replicator G instead of the Mach in that modified engraving machine. And he also said that we need to put nearly everything into the engraving machine such as Motherboard, Controll board or... personally I believe it is just meaningless because it is more complicated than making a new 3D printer. What is you opinion about this? Thank you!

Hua, look at the RAMPS or Rambo Reprap motherboards. Also look at the free and open source tool chain of Slic3r and Pronterface. The path Dan has taken is for CNC machine owners that want to add 3D printing to their Mach driven machine (though EMC2 would work the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Hau View Post
    Hi My supervisor told me we will use the software Replicator G instead of the Mach in that modified engraving machine. And he also said that we need to put nearly everything into the engraving machine such as Motherboard, Controll board or... personally I believe it is just meaningless because it is more complicated than making a new 3D printer. What is you opinion about this? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    Hua, look at the RAMPS or Rambo Reprap motherboards. Also look at the free and open source tool chain of Slic3r and Pronterface. The path Dan has taken is for CNC machine owners that want to add 3D printing to their Mach driven machine (though EMC2 would work the same).
    Hey Jay C, the board I used in this project is Motherboard v2.4. Is the situation still the same?

Can't speak for Makerbot stuff, never used it. Didn't realize you already had the reprap motherboard, forget what I said.