586,047 active members*
3,563 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Amphenol type motor connectors - cheap alternative pin-sockets.

Amphenol type motor connectors - cheap alternative pin-sockets.

Hi.

I have several large servos that use Amphenol type round threaded connectors. There are two different pin sizes on mine, 2.5mm pins for the motor phase windings, and smaller ~1.2mm pins for commutation and encoders and such.

The issue I have is, even the cheapest connector is over $20, and some are closer to $60. At 2 per motor, the connectors alone would cost more than I paid for the motors.

I don't really want to hack the connectors off and strait wire it or anything, but I don't see me buying new connectors very soon.

However, I've made the helpful discovery that the 2.5mm pins are a nearly perfect match for 'molex' type power plugs. I cut off the ends from a couple old computer power supplies and I have enough to spare for the 2.5mm pins. A little piece of shrink wrap around it and it's all good.

So, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a cheap style of crimp-on or solder-on female pin types that would match up to this pin size. So far I've tried all the pins used in a PC without luck -- power, data, sound, serial port. Serial (db9) pins are close, but a little too small, maybe 1mm even. Most others do not have a fully surrounded 'socket' that would work without the plastic part to align and confine.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-b2b

I am assuming the threaded connectors are the metal MS type? Do a search in Digikey for the Tyco CPC pins, they come in a couple of sizes, not sure if they are interchangeable?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

You assumed correctly, yes. MS-type, aluminum, sort of olive-drab.
    Although, about the pins I measured at 1.2mm... well, that was bad conversion. I measured again at .060", which is ~1.5mm.

Perhaps because I do not tend to shop there, I didn't even think of checking digikey. Thanks, Al, for that hint!

I can't be sure if it will fit, but I think I will be trying THIS pin socket. Female socket hole is nominal .059 so that sounds a pretty good fit. Luckily it's really cheap and available in small quantities. Qty. 100 for under $10 delivered. That price sounds about right too.

I don't know if any one else has this dilemma or not, but I'll update if I find something that works.