586,123 active members*
3,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mesa or Galil ?

Hi ,
    I want my 3 axis router retrofit with a new controller . I am owner of a galil DMC 1765 . Does someone built a machine with mach3 and a galil card dmc 17X5 or with linuxcnc and a Mesa 5i25 and a 7i77 ?
    What is the better way ?

Thanks

Hans

see this page
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/linuxc...i_use_emc.html

it's actually a difficult question to answer with out a lot more information.
    and a lot of it has to do with what kinda person you are and what is important to you.

Hans;

Much depends on your machine, your programming ability, and your expectations. Mach has plugins and various hacks to make it run servos but inside it is still a step and direction control, developed by and for hobby users.

LinuxCNC is the closest thing you can get to a real industrial control. That can be good or bad, depending on your needs. Configuring velocity mode servos is just as difficult in EMC2 as with any true closed loop control.

Simple stepper configurations are actually easier to set up than Mach. Once you start adding things to LinuxCNC outside the pre-configured choices it can get very complex. Mach allows you to do most things from setup screens. EMC2 quickly gets into hardcore computer programming.

Fortunately, the developers at Mesa provide good software support for EMC2. They work closely with the EMC2 team.

Galil makes a good product. I've never seen a Galil-based CNC that wasn't full of bugs though. It is not their area of expertise or interest.

If you like Windows and plan to use step motors then Mach might be a best choice. If you want servos and Linux doesn't scare you then go with EMC2 and Mesa.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doug6949 View Post

Galil makes a good product. I've never seen a Galil-based CNC that wasn't full of bugs though. It is not their area of expertise or interest.
    Mach has a Galil pug in, but apart from Camsoft, there is not alot in the way of A CNC front end for their controllers, which is unfortunate, because when implemented would institute a full comprehensive closed loop CNC system which would emulate a commercial CNC system.
    Acrolloop had a similar PC based motion card system, but was slightly ahead of its time in the DIY market, but had the same, if not more power than the Galil and have been used in CNC routers and oxy/gas machines by a few manufacturers and individual retrofitters in the past and had the front end S/W to go with it.
    Today it would have been a card of choice for many DIY'ers.
    Unfortunately when Parker bought them out, they seem to have faded away.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Mach has a Galil pug in,
    If any level of support is available it would tempting to at least experiment. The card is already in hand after all . Galil's pricing is a bit of an eye opener for this hobby builder but hobbyists wouldn't be their market.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Try the Mach support forum.
    Machsupport Forum - Index
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Sind Sie zufällig in die nähe von Regensburg? Ich bin auch interessierte in einen solche Projekt. Habe gerade einen Step-four 540er, aber nach die Pleite würde ich was ein bisschen mehr Mainstream, großer, und stärker bauen. Das ich nicht so viel zeit habe dafür, suche ich einen mit-interessierter. Sie können mir erreichen über swaggoner(at)t(-bindestrick)online.de

MfG,

Sam