586,061 active members*
4,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2nd machine-first built one

This is the second machine I have had, but the first one I have built from scratch. It is built based on the plans of Mike Walach. I found out I couldn't cut the HDPE with my table saw, but I found a shop that would cut all pieces for $90, so I took them up on it. I did all the other work in my garage shop. Most screws used were socket head cap screws for the heavy duty stuff and phillips heads for the rest. No nuts were used anywhere. All drill and tap.
    Thanks. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router.jpg   construction.jpg  

more of same

Lock washers and washers were used on all screws. I used 1/4-20" stainless threaded rod to drive each axis, with Delrin(acetal) nuts. Rails are 1/2" ground and polished rod. Router will be a Porter Cable 7301 head. Mount is from Ron at k2cnc.
    Thanks. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back.jpg   router-mount.jpg   side.jpg  

PS and breakout board

Breakout board is from Dave Delagrange at www.dtllc.com and power supply is from 2 computer power supplies. Power suppy is capable of 12 volts @44 amp!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ps-breakout.jpg  

Looks like you did an excellent job on your machine. I purchased the same plans. I work in a metal fab shop and decided to make the machine mostly out of steel since I can get all I want for almost nothing! I made the linear bearings out of barstock and pressed in bronze bushings. Again all for free. I hope it looks as good as your when it's done! Is your maching accurate enough to engrave smaller text? Your power supplies are interesting. I have alot of computers laying around too. Could you give me any help as far as modifying the power supplies?
    Thanks

Jim

Thanks for your comments

Didn't really have to modify much in the power supplies. One rail in each has 14 amps. Other rail has 8 amps. Computer guy says as long as you don't go over 22 amps combined you should be o.k. My steppers are rated at 2.6 volts @ 4.6 amps each. Using ballast resistors at 2 ohms at 100 watts each. Dave Delagrange was a big help on this part. Use ATX power supplies.
    Thanks for the nice comments. Don't know yet about engraving small text and accuracy. Most all components are tight and should provide nice tolerances. I will let everyone know when my router gets here and I try some cuts.

Ballast resistors

Here's a picture of the ballast resistors. They sure get hot!!! Has something to do with getting maximum speed and torque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ballast.jpg  

More parts

Porter Cable 7301 router should be here today. Lee Valley 1/4" to 1/8" collet bushings the next day. Just need to make sacraficial table with work hold downs. Thought about using oak table with t-slot cut with t-slot cutter from Woodcraft. Any ideas? Also want to add 1/4-20 threaded inserts in table on 1" centers. Thanks. Mike

Any idea what kind of speed you can get?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Speed

Not yet I don't. Probably will have time by the end of next weekend(after Thanksgiving) to know. Going to be a fun time!!!!
    Steppers are 3 sections Slo-Syn and are set to hold 150 oz-in
    Thanks for the replys. Mike

pictures w/laminate trimmer

Here are some pictures of my router with the trimmer in place. Trimmer is locked in place with a 1/4-20 knob that is used in the base mount. 2 bosses in the sides of the trimmer provide areas to locate and lock the trimmer in proper perpendicular alignment. Nice job Ron at k2cnc!!!! Plenty of clearance under bit. Next project is sacraficial table/part hold downs.
    The trimmer looks properly sized for the router, don't you think?
    Thanks. Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3pts.jpg   clearance.jpg   cutter.jpg   fit.jpg  

Hello, sorry for the stupidity but wat is that material you used to make that out of. I know its some sort of plastic but i would like to make mine out of the same stuff and I need to know what its called. Thanks!

there are no stupid questions

It's HDPE(high density polyethylene). I got it at www.usplastics.com. One thing that was a problem, when they sell you a sheet 24"x48", they take a 4'x8' sheet and cut it into 4 equal pieces. So each piece is not a true 24" wide. I also found I could not cut this material accurately on the saw I had. But a cabinet shop cut them for very little cost. Thanks. Mike

I wounder if you would be able to cut it easily using a regular router (not cnc)

Hey and also, was that enough to build your entire machine, and wat thickness was it??

Nice job on the build! Any pictures of parts you made?

Mike

www.bigbearcnc.com
    www.bigbearcnc.com