586,112 active members*
3,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > Techno Isel old Gantry table for CNC Router

Smile Techno Isel old Gantry table for CNC Router

Hi to everyone, I just bought a Techno Isel Gantry Table I think is model 027 from a Junkyard, it looks that this table was used to apply some glue in some factory.

I want to use it as my first CNC project, I've been following the forums and reading a lot this past 3 years learning about CNC, I have a business degree but the engineering passion is in my blood.
    I have a fabrication shop and a powder coating shop I run as my business, but I usually like to do a lot of DIY stuff which can sometimes later become profitable.

I have other CNC parts I have been picking from Junkyards but I think this is my best chance to do my first DIY CNC Router/PLASMA, I read here that a Keling Kit can help me get this to work easily, and my question is which stepper motor will work best for my table?

Here are some pictures of the table.

I don't plan on using the control box that came with it, altough it would be interesting to know if it will work for anything. I think this control unit is french.

Question: Do I have to put new motors in this, Or can I buy some Gecko Drive or something that will work for these.

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC2651.JPG   _DSC2652.JPG   _DSC2653.JPG   _DSC2655.JPG  

_DSC2658.JPG  

Looks like a Techno Gantry System III. The table size for the 027 model is 850mm x 750mm with a travel area of 500mm x 540mm. Yours looks bigger than that in the picture. Ball screw drive was standard using a 16mm diameter screw with a 5mm pitch.

Someone will probably chime in with information about those servos and drivers, I don't have much experience with them. If you are not familiar with servo based systems, the easiest way to get this going would be to look into picking up a Gecko 540 based stepper system using 280 or 380 oz inch motors. Just to let you know, the stepper version of this table had 155 oz in motors (which had a terrible torque curve btw).

I forgot to add - yes it should make a very good router. I made a router in 1989 loosely based on an earlier Techno model using their extrusions. I (still) use ancient American Scientific 2 amp drivers at 34 volts and am able to rapid at 400 ipm and cut at 200 ipm using a Hitachi MV12 router. I could not afford ball screws back then and use ACME leadscrews. K2CNC has a nice router mount. You would just need to make a simple aluminum adapter plate.

You should think about attaching some MDF to that aluminum plate to protect it. At least until you get some experience cutting.

THANKS

Thank you mmcleod, your info is very useful, I'm gonna order a 270 oz-in 3 axis kit with Geckos from Keling, Do you think I would need some adapter on this Nema 23 stepper to work with my current servo mounts?

thanks again

Those look to be the same Techno NEMA 23 aluminum standoffs that I used. The steppers should bolt right on. I don't know about the shaft size on the lead screw and servo motor. You may need new couplers or you might be able to use what's there. Either way, new couplers are only about $4 for the lovejoy couplers and about $20 for the spiral cut connectors.

You might want to consider Keiling or CNC Router Parts G540 based kits. I know it is about $120 more but it gives you 4 drivers, 380 ozin steppers and from what I have seen; it is much much easier to set up for the first time builder.

I built my controller using a breakout board and discrete controllers. It took me a while to get everything figured out and wired correctly. If I had to do it again on the same size machine, I would go with the G540.

Good luck with your machine.
    Mark

Thanks again mmcleod, following your advice I will buy the G540 kit from keling, I took apart one of my servos and the have 5/16" plain round shaft, I guess I'll need to buy diferent couplers as the shafts from the kit are 1/4"

Also wanted to ask you if the G540 controller has conectors for the limit switches that my system already has.

The G540 does support limit switches. But the circuit you need will depend on the software controlling the router and how the limit/home switches are setup on that router. Here is a link to one way of wiring the G540:
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

Before you take apart the the controls and switches you should make a diagram of the connections. You will probably want an e-stop circuit as well. It looks like your pictures show a big red e-stop switch. Document it also.

I don't know if you were planning on using Mach3 or some other software to control the router. Mach has reference manuals and a downloadable trial version of their software available online. You should look at the hardware requirements for the computer. There is also a chapter and online video on how to set up your homing and limit switches. You can start getting your computer set up while you are waiting for your parts to arrive.

deleted

Hi mmcleod, your info is very helpful, I think I will go with Mach3 as I see its pretty well supported, I'll do the trial version first, I want to set this machine up to acumulate knowledge for building the real machine I need, a 4x8' router/plasma, I have a set of Yaskawa SGDH 400w servos and drivers (used, found in the junkyard) I have four axis and an extra servo, but the money for the linear ways and ballscrew don't have yet as buying them new its too expensive.

Thank you for your help I'll keep posting progress...

Hello 007,
    that is indeed some quality junk you have found!
    This is my Isel build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn..._old_isel.html
    My components must be older than your machine.
    I run Keling 23H286-20-8B motors on two of the axis, on 72 volts and G203's
    The travel on my units could be extended quite a bit, by removing large rubber stops on the inside. The linear units are 860mm long, and my travel is now 620mm.
    Parts are readily available, at least here i Europe.

Regards

Lars

Hi LN-jet, your design looks really neat, its been almost three years since I joined the forum, and ever since I have looked very carefully for parts on the junkyards, I think this time it paid off!!!. I think this time I'll have this up and running in no time... I'll post the progress... And look into the travel extension possibilities... Thanks