586,114 active members*
3,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

picture for dxf file?

i am now to this forum and as of this morning new to a brandnew trochmate2 CNC machine that i just got done setting up for our school... and i found this forum and i was wanting some ideas... i want to create a picture for my brother for his birthday and i want it to be an ironworkers emblem but im not sure how to trace it on rhinoceros or torchmateCAD...
    im not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but here it is lol!!!
    "local 14 not 25"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IronWorker_small.jpg  

I tried looking for a better quality graphic for you. I also tried looking for one for Local 14. I did not find either.

Ideally, you'd want a much higher resolution image. The typical procedure is to just import the image into your CAD program, scale to the size you want, and use the CAD drawing tools to draw right over the top. I usually trace in a red color, as it's easier to see.

You can also try a raster to vector program, like Wintopo. Inkscape can also do raster to vector, and it's free. Just be aware that raster to vector conversions will not be nearly as clean as manual tracing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

WOW wintopo looks amazing, but im guessing i will still need a better photo or image?

letters around circles?

okay im just going to use rhinoceres and i am wanting to wrap leters around a circle but im not sure if i can... does anyone have ideas?

In any CAD software, you should be able to draw a letter and then rotate and move it into any position you want. Just use the appropriate commands for your software.

okay i wwas trying to avoid using the individual method that way it would all be symmetrical and this is as far as i got (IW2) and i was wondering if ther was a way to curve a group of letters around a circle? like in the picture???
    Attached Files Attached Files

Warping the text are we limited to a program type?

As I can wrap text in Adobe Photoshop Elelments and is quite simple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitley.jpg  

Something like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

"HorridHenry" no I'm sure were not subject to certain programs, i am just not the computer type but I'm at least trying to get this program down! as for the lines on the picture that "txcncman" did I'm sure you can reflect it across the x axis i am just wondering how to do that! Thank you all for your help, i am sure i will be back with many questions for all of you lol!!!

Did you get the idea on how to move and rotate the letters to align them? Do you need some more pointers?

i do understand how to rotate and move the letters... i just need to know how to mirror images if possible

If you are using Rhino, I have no idea of the commands. If you press the F1 key, does a help window pop up? If so, search for "mirror" in the online help.

EASY

i didn't realize there was a bar up top that you can type into and give commands, all you do is select the image type im mirror then select were you want it!

Slaps you in the face sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by strawn52 View Post
    i do understand how to rotate and move the letters... i just need to know how to mirror images if possible
    I suggest that you use Photoshop to mirror the image, there is such a feature, it's called "Flip horizontal". Then you could save the image and continue editing it in the program you usually use.