587,047 active members*
2,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wiring Aux 1 relay

Ok guys I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to wire up a fan to aux 1 but I'm not sure what's going on here and the manual is no help at all. I wired up the fan the same way as the work lamp is wired. One line going from L and one line going from neutral to the black and white wires on the fan (typical 120v fan). It worked fine for a couple of minutes and would turn on and off fine, then after a few minutes of running the fan burned up, so I checked the voltage and it is 240v across these two lines. Are these relays 240v? or is it just aux 1? Surely the lamp doesn't run on 240v. Can someone fill me in on what I'm doing wrong? What should the lines read when aux 1 is off? The relays have an L, N, and Grd but the only one that uses the ground is the coolant pump. Since the machine doesn't use a neutral and assuming the L and the N are really both just hots should I be wiring the white neutral wire to grd to get 120v? If so does this mess with the clean ground I'm supposed to have?

I think all the relays are 230V. What sort of fan is it there is a port for the enclosure fan I think it is 120V ac though I would have to double check.

I think the enclosure fan is 12v if I'm not mistaken.

So if there are two 120v legs and a ground can I just run one 120v leg to the black fan wire and the ground to the white neutral fan wire? Wouldn't that work? It is just a residential bathroom exhaust fan box.

Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    So if there are two 120v legs and a ground can I just run one 120v leg to the black fan wire and the ground to the white neutral fan wire? Wouldn't that work? It is just a residential bathroom exhaust fan box.
    Yep that would work

Thanks Allen I'll give it a shot. I was confused because the voltage output doesn't change between Aux1 being on or off (240v off, 240v on). This was strange to me because the fan would turn on and off ok (before burning up) and I still hear a relay click when pressing the button so I though it was some other relay mechanism other than simply switching the power on and off. Or maybe there is a voltage differential like 230v off, 240v on or something. I look into more when I get home.

Ok I tried it and it doesn't work either. I wired it L to black and grd to white and it trips the breaker in the service panel as soon as I press the aux 1 button. So it appears all the aux outputs are 240 and the system fan is in fact 240v. That is surprising because it is a simple little computer fan. So I need to convert the 240v to 120v. I guess I'll just get a small voltage converter. Anyone care to suggest one? All the ones I'm seeing are just foreign plug converters. The exhaust fan is 120v .9A 108W.

ok yeah that won't work I guess one leg of 240 would be 120 but house 120v expects a neutral. What about the Un-fused AC out J25 on the CNC interface board is that 120 or 240? I never measured that one.

I think it's 120v but mine powers the 12VDC converter for the computer. I'm sure it would work but I would like to control the fan with a button.