586,106 active members*
2,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 X axis conversion

Hi
    Here is my problem.
    I bought G0704 with intent to CNC conversion.
    Reviewed all what I found on the Internet, but cant understand how to replace the X axis original shaft and nut with RM1605 and SFU1605 single ballnut. Also, I want to leave old table endplate. RM1605 has same size, but SFU1605 ballnut is bigger and do not fit between ball screw and the foundation of the table.
    Any idea what I am doing wrong and what to do?

Do you have any pics of the problem itself.

You will need to mill out a small pocket in the saddle to seat the ballnut in

Good afternoon mrcodewiz. I am glad that you have answered my question. About 2 months ago I found your site on the net: G0704 CNC Conversion pictures by mrcodewiz - Photobucket with drawings.
    But, it does not have enough explanation to them. Yesterday I started a thread on the forum G0704 X axis conversion - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!, and about an hour later found your thread on the same forum: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ost909588.html.
    There I found many answers on my questions. Thank you for the work you have done.
    One more question: can I leave an old table endplate with thrust bearing 51200, if will put same Ballscrews as you used, because they all have same under bearings of 10.00 mm.
    Also, as I understood, end machining for all 3 shafts were cost you $21.

I will double check tomorrow but i believe you should be able to use 2 sets of the factory thrust bearings.

Yes, the end machining is very cheap when you get the ball screws from linearmotionbearings.

Quote Originally Posted by pemko View Post
    Hi
    Here is my problem.
    I bought G0704 with intent to CNC conversion.
    Reviewed all what I found on the Internet, but cant understand how to replace the X axis original shaft and nut with RM1605 and SFU1605 single ballnut. Also, I want to leave old table endplate. RM1605 has same size, but SFU1605 ballnut is bigger and do not fit between ball screw and the foundation of the table.
    Any idea what I am doing wrong and what to do?

Hi there pemko I too used the same Ballnuts and Ballscrews and I have a BF20 clone of yours here's a suggestion to what I did.....

Hope this helps to explain...
    Eoin

Mad Welder-

I like that. How did you cut the channel for the screw?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcodewiz View Post
    ..... How did you cut the channel for the screw?
    About a year and a half ago I made a crude cross table out of Delrin to make model yachts but it wasn't a success and that was my first introduction to DIY CNC so I used this temporary table to machine the recess for the X axis Ballscrew and the tool is a 12mm Ballnosed endmill

if it's any help to you my thread is here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...n_using-9.html

:cheers:
    Eoin