586,077 active members*
3,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1994 haas vf2 with electrocraft e728 motor

1994 haas vf2 with electrocraft e728 motor

Ok. So almost 2 weeks ago my mill goes down. Bad cable took out motor and encoder that was rebuilt 2 years ago. Got a new cable. Thats on. Now after talking to a haas tech I don't know if I have the right encoder for my motor. It is an electrocraft e728 with a renco encoder. Tech told me if it is not a haas motor the new data torque encoder I just bought from haas won't work. What motor should be on this machine 1994 haas vf2 ????? Did someone swap a motor from what it should be? I really need to get up and going again but would prefer to do it right. If anyone has a motor they want to part with let me know also looking for a renco encoder model rhs21d-p1-2000-8mm-5-cs-ld-m1-o-p-s. These are the two components that have been working for the last 6 years on it. If it's not the right stuff let me know so I can get it right. thanks any info or working parts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the post is a little hard to follow. I'm pretty scatter brained on this project now.

Renco Encoder

Try this supplier for Renco Encoders:

St. Lawrence-Troy LLC
    32399 Milton Drive, Madison Heights, Michigan 48071
    Call for more information:
    Phone: 248-585-7733 • 800-521-5772

Good Luck......

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    Ok. So almost 2 weeks ago my mill goes down. Bad cable took out motor and encoder that was rebuilt 2 years ago. Got a new cable. Thats on. Now after talking to a haas tech I don't know if I have the right encoder for my motor. It is an electrocraft e728 with a renco encoder. Tech told me if it is not a haas motor the new data torque encoder I just bought from haas won't work. What motor should be on this machine 1994 haas vf2 ????? Did someone swap a motor from what it should be? I really need to get up and going again but would prefer to do it right. If anyone has a motor they want to part with let me know also looking for a renco encoder model rhs21d-p1-2000-8mm-5-cs-ld-m1-o-p-s. These are the two components that have been working for the last 6 years on it. If it's not the right stuff let me know so I can get it right. thanks any info or working parts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if the post is a little hard to follow. I'm pretty scatter brained on this project now.
    Who is this "Tech" that you keep referring to. HFO, factory, or independant? It doesn't sound like you are getting good advise or direction from him (or her).

If this "Tech" is associated with Haas, they should be able to get you all the information you need regarding correct part numbers.

Quite honestly, it sounds like you need to have your dealer come in and straighten things out; 2 weeeks is a lot of down time. Your HFO tech should be able to get you running within 1-2 days depending on parts.

Maybe you should have the motor and encoder looked at a bit more closely, What would 'Take the motor and encoder out', one or both may be able to be repaired or restored, since Renco were taken over by Heidenhain they have reduced the model line and do not stock many exact replacements, but an equivalent should be available.
    Any Heidenhain branch will order one for you.
    I think the tech is spinning a line just because it may not be original equipment.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the reply guys. I sent the motor and encoder out this past week for repair. To answer your question haastec. I called the factory in california and got the part numbers and after I got the 300 dollar encoder the same guys told me it wouldn't work if it wasn't
    a haas motor. I don't know whats going on any other time they have been great. I would have a service guy come out but I still have a normal job. Thanks for the info I'll keep u guys up to date. Might help some other guy out there with an old machine.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys. I sent the motor and encoder out this past week for repair. To answer your question haastec. I called the factory in california and got the part numbers and after I got the 300 dollar encoder the same guys told me it wouldn't work if it wasn't
    a haas motor. I don't know whats going on any other time they have been great. I would have a service guy come out but I still have a normal job. Thanks for the info I'll keep u guys up to date. Might help some other guy out there with an old machine.
    Good luck on the repairs. Post back when you get things back together.

you should all buy your service guy a case of beer the next time he's out. GOt up and going tonight. New cable, rebuilt motor and new card for the x drive. I'm covered in oil and chips are in places they should never be. You service guys earn your money for sure. I don't know if the bad cable or the brushes that were too big from the previous rebuild caused all the problems. But i'm up and have an extra encoder if anyone needs one. My old one was still good. That alone probably would have payed for the service call. Lesson learned. Thanks for the help guys.

Premature fixed post. I now have a 175 ground fault on tool change. If the tool is not in the spindle it changes fine. When I got the first encoder it had a list of parameters to change.it was a encoder for the spindle motor. I think I changed them and forgot to change them back. Any suggestions????????