586,121 active members*
3,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking POP!! smoke...silence :)

So I have a Superior Electric SS2000D6 drive (7amp, built in power supply, OPTO isolators) hooked up to my X and Y. I am using the machine one day and after I get done, I stop the program and am reading something for a minute while the machine is not doing anything but E-Stopped at program end and then I hear a POP like a firecracker and see a little puff of white smoke come out of the X drive. No power lights on. Dead.

So what happened? Voltage backfire from the Stepper? Short circuit in the drive somewhere? Is this a tell-tale scenario?

The 6A fuse is blown in the drive and when I put in another one it blows.

Since the machine had been stopped/sitting still, I doubt if it was a back EMF problem. Have you checked the windings on the motor to see if one of them shorted out. Sounds like something shorted out in the drive.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I don't think there were any shorts in the motor. My guess is that it was a short or something in the drive. I got them used for free...so what can you expect!! I'd still like to get an idea of what happened to it though.

Open it up and look for something black and chared. Sometimes it is a black cased semiconductor and it may have a crack or pushed out section surrounded by some char or melted plastic.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Though I am not familiar with the boards you have, tantalum caps are known for making a loud sharp crack when they explode. Regardless of what went boom, you can look for something blackened or cracked.

Dave