586,058 active members*
4,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Pairing an 8 wire Steeper Motor

Pairing an 8 wire Steeper Motor

Hello Esteemed Colleagues: I need your help in converting my 8 wire motor to 4. I do have the datasheet, but I don't understand the wiring diagram. Thus, I don't know which wires I have to connect together. The motor is a 23j1854-828 (see the attached picture).
    Note: There is little information (that I could find) in dealing with the interpretation of the symbols. Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23j1854-828.jpg  

Well, the coloured wires are shown on the diagram. You will need to decide which type you want, namely high torque or high speed connection?

What contoller are you using? You need to know the current rating for your controller board and your motor for each each possible wiring condition, like uniploar, bipolar, bipolar series, etc.

Let us know, then we can walk you through a possible connection.

Wink YEP

Quote Originally Posted by KOC62 View Post
    Well, the coloured wires are shown on the diagram. You will need to decide which type you want, namely high torque or high speed connection?

What contoller are you using? You need to know the current rating for your controller board and your motor for each each possible wiring condition, like uniploar, bipolar, bipolar series, etc.

Let us know, then we can walk you through a possible connection.
    What he said.

I have the information you requested

Thank you for your rapid response.

The connection is for high torque.
    The driver is a 2m542 4.2amps.
    The breakout board is a HY-JK02-M 5 axis.
    The motor is rated at 2.8 amps.
    The PSU is 24volts 15amps.
    I will have 3 axis only.

The datasheet shows the wire colors and the winding diagram. But I don't know what the symbol represents. I wish that, additionally, it would list the color pair cables that go to: A, A-, B, B- with words.
    Then, I could be handling the connections from tthe motors to the drivers. Thank you

This first diagram at the bottom gives the coloured wires and how they are connected in high torque. The next diagram represent the equivalent 4-wire result showing the A/A- and B/B- coils.

According to the diagram for "High torque";
    This is a SERIES connection.

Join YELLOW wire to RED wire
    This gives you the two wires for the A coil which you connect to your driver;
    +A BLUE
    -A GREEN

The B coil;
    Join BLACK wire to ORANGE wire.
    This gives you the two wires for the B coil which you connect to your driver.
    +B BROWN
    -B WHITE

If you decide to use the "High Speed" wiring then do the following.
    This is a PARALLEL connection
    Join GREEN to RED
    Join YELLOW to BLUE
    This results in;
    +A BLUE/YELLOW pair
    -A GREEN/RED pair

Join ORANGE and BROWN
    Join BLACK AND WHITE
    This results in;
    +B BROWN/ORANGE pair
    -B WHITE/BLACK pair

Just a note about the switching arrangement.

I have bought three rotary switches so that if ever I need speed from my steppers rather than torque then all I have to do is switch from Torque to Speed on the rotary switches.

There is a list of all the connection options at: techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/connections.htm along with the advantages and disadvantages of each.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

James-Newton,

That is a good reference you provided.

I gave the wiring in a my earlier post because I thought he didn't know how to wire his specific motor using his motor's wiring colour code. Your reference may not provide that info. I too recommend that he read the provided link for further insight.

Thank you note

I'm deeply thankful for the information. I will visit the sites listed. Now I can read the datasheets of other motors since you show me how the diagram connections work. I updated my previous picture with the combinations you showed me. Thank you again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MISCELLANEOUS EKF CNC PROJECT SLIDES-3.jpg  

Excellent. Those "Eureka" moments.
    Things are always simpler once one understands.
    Sometimes us experienced folk don't realize what is not clear to the uninitiated and we make the wrong assumptions.

I believe your second drawing "wiring for high speed in series" is wrong. Not in the schematic but in its term. I believe this type of connection is referred to as parallel. In fact your diagram almost proves it as all wires are drawn parallel. Would someone please confirm or deny my suspicion?
    Quote Originally Posted by EKFER View Post
    I'm deeply thankful for the information. I will visit the sites listed. Now I can read the datasheets of other motors since you show me how the diagram connections work. I updated my previous picture with the combinations you showed me. Thank you again

fastest1

The labelling is confusing since both say "8 lead Wire series connection".
    You are correct in that the parallel bipolar connection gives the highest torque while the unipolar connection gives the highest speed.

Also see james newton's link in post #7 for further info.
    I assumed that ekfer read that link's info fo clarification.

I was just making sure I wasnt more confused than I thought I was.

Follow-up & new question

I believe that you are correct in the error of the term. I checked other sites and I noticed that the information-some of the manufacturers provide-is confusing.

I do have another question: Can I mix drivers with different amperage ratings?

I have one 2m542 (4.2 amps) driver for a bypolar 2.8 amp nema 23 stepper. I want to add two keling kl 5056 (5.6 amps) drivers with two bypolar 570 oz/in KL23H2100-50-4B nema 23 steppers.

the BOB is HY-JK02-M 5-AXIS

If this configuration is acceptable, what power supply would you suggest? Thank you

The whole idea is not to exceed a motor temperature of 85C, according Gecko advice. Others may not want to exceed 80C. I can't tell you what that supply voltage will be for this rating. Higher power supply voltages will increase motor temperature.

I don't have the datasheets for your motors so you will need to verify what your motor inductance will be for each motor in the configuration you will hardwire.

The general rule is a maximum supply voltage of 32 times the square root of the motor inductance in mH. Now this formula says that the higher the inductance the higher the permissable power supply voltage. Note however that using one power supply will mean the motor with the lowest inductance is the one that sets your maximum power supply voltage. Otherwise the motor with the lowest inductance can overheat if you exceed the formula value.

Forgot to answer your other question.
    Yes, you can mix drivers with different motor amperage. Of course each driver should be able to provide the motor current without exceeding the driver's rating. i.e. you can use a 1.8 amp motor on a 3 amp driver. But you wouldn't operate a 1.8 amp driver on a 3 amp motor because you'll lose motor power and torque. Match the driver to each motor, and one driver for each motor.

Err... hang on, if you run a 1.8 amp motor on a 3 amp driver /at 3 amps/ you are going to kill the motor. Ask me how I know! LOL... I assume you meant that you could run a 1.8 amp motor at 1.8 (or less) amps on a driver capable of running at 3 amps. Other than that, I completely agree.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Of course I'm making assumptions. I'm thinking Gecko G540 where you have a 3.5 amp driver but set the resistor for 1.8 amps for a 1.8 amp motor. This is also what I meant by matching the driver to the motor.

But you're right. One doesn't quite know how another person interprets an answer, or "what I meant was...".

You provided the answer I was seeking (that Milli Henry had to be a fine gal). I'll match/buy the motor of the 2m542 to the same MH of the 570 oz/in so that I can minimize overheating and get the maximum output of the bigger motors. I can use a 36 or 48 volts with about a 12-15 amps power supply.

Is the BOB adequate?

I have no experience with that BOB. It does look reasonable to me.