586,599 active members*
3,742 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > How to turn threaded rods for bearing support and maintain rotational axis

How to turn threaded rods for bearing support and maintain rotational axis

If I have threaded rods that I want to turn the ends of for bearing support, how do I go about doing this on the lathe while maintaining perfect rotational axis is centered and true?

I have soft jaw chucks as well as independent jaw chucks for the work.

Im wondering about the workholding part. How do I grip the threaded rod? How do I indicator it in? How do I ensure the axis of rotation remains in the center of the rod? Indicatoring will be much more difficult than on round stock since the threads are helical and your indicator stays in the same place and goes over valleys as you rotate the workpiece.

Maybe turn it down until it is round and then measure offsets and readjust and turn again?

Or hold a large piece, drill it, then tap it on the lathe chuck, then thread the rod right in to hold it? But it probably wont hold very still so then superglue it in place?

WHats your strategy for this?

To hold a threaded rod in the chuck jaws you use a brass collar,this collar is cut down the sides ie two halves.

I've used cardboard wrapped around the rod before today or copper pipe cut down in two halves,copper pipe is more pliable and soft compared to brass.

There is a vast amount of information out there on the net for newbie lathe operators.

Quote Originally Posted by bebob1 View Post
    If I have threaded rods that I want to turn the ends of for bearing support, how do I go about doing this on the lathe while maintaining perfect rotational axis is centered and true?

I have soft jaw chucks as well as independent jaw chucks for the work.

Im wondering about the workholding part. How do I grip the threaded rod? How do I indicator it in? How do I ensure the axis of rotation remains in the center of the rod? Indicatoring will be much more difficult than on round stock since the threads are helical and your indicator stays in the same place and goes over valleys as you rotate the workpiece.

Maybe turn it down until it is round and then measure offsets and readjust and turn again?

Or hold a large piece, drill it, then tap it on the lathe chuck, then thread the rod right in to hold it? But it probably wont hold very still so then superglue it in place?

WHats your strategy for this?
    well there are some things to consider

1) how much run out can this tolerate

2) how much run out are in the threads

i would try what HorridHenry suggested first

if that doesn't work you will need to thread your jaws and hold the rod in the threads

if that doesn't work you will need to thread your jaws and hold the rod in the threads
    Thread the chuck jaws,heavens above you do make hard work for yourself.

If needs must a 2" brass rod tapped to thread size and the brass rod then screwed onto the threaded rod and secured in position by a nut both sides of the brass rod and the brass rod clamped in the jaws.

The brass ro would have to be long enough to pass into the spindle ie past the jaws so that the nuts don't hamper the jaws.