586,114 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > PTC Pro/Manufacture > Multiple milling operations

Multiple milling operations

Hello CNC Zone. I teaching myself to generate G-codes from my ProE models, so I may get the parts made by sub-contract CNC shops. I have some tutorials, but feel I need a bit of guidance.

My first problem is: I have made a Manufacturing Assembly and successfully created an Operation and NC Sequence to mill the "bottom" of the workpiece. I then want to turn the job over to mill the "top", using a different cutter.

ProE does not appear to want more than one Operation in the Man. Assy, but it will allow multiple Sequences, but only using the same tool. When I created the second Operation, it substituted this for the first Operation, overwriting that in the Model Tree. The "machine zero" Coordinate System, as you experts know, is defined in the Operation (OP010 is the default name that PTC appears to give it). Oddly enough, both Sequences seemed to work, even though they used different Coord Systems. The problem is, the tool is also defined in the Op, so I'm stuck with one cutting tool.

Do I have to create a new Man Assy every time I want a tool change, or is there a way of putting consecutive Operations in the same Assembly?

Any help would be much appreciated. In return, I am an experienced ProE modeller and will answer any questions you have, about creating your parts, assemblies, drawings, mechanisms etc.:bat:

PS My first attempt at a Username was "scrapmaker", but this was taken!

Yes you can have multiple ops in the same assembly, multiple sequences, & multiple tools.

What version of Pro/E are you using?

Are you wanting to create multiple machine programs, or a single program using multiple stations (vises I assume)?

Dave

Hi Dave,

TVM for reply, I have just got back to the job and had another go at it. Still no joy.:boxing:
    I am on Wf3 version M010. I am trying to create 2no. G-code files, for the machining of one component, on the same machine (It runs Mach3, if I remember correctly, and its "operating system" is similar to Mitsubishi, if this is any help).

I have dsigned the part so the operator can do one milling operation, then flip the part over and use machined faces to re-zero his machine, so that the upper and lower features are located within the smallest possible tolerance. The development of the part will probably include several iterations, so I hope to be able to update my model and get prototypes quickly and cost-effectively, as required. Plans. Mice. Men.

Attached is a screengrab of my Model Tree and Process Manager Window. Once again, thanks for your help.

Regards,
    David.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails try1.JPG  

Hahahahahahahaaaa!!! Sussed it! You have to click the "New Process" icon in the Process dialogue box. I was editing the name of the Process and expecting a new Process to be saved into the Model Tree, with the new name. Same thing for the Tool.

Intuitive it ain't. Still, I did it. Poke that up yer bollix, PTC, and your expensive training courses!:devious:

Can anyone guess where I will trip up next? All suggestions/tips/hints will be appreciated. Also, thanks for your previous attempts to assist.

Your welcome. I had a suspicion that may have been the issue.

Good luck.
    Dave

My next task is to get the information into Drawing Mode, so the people on the shopfloor can actually Do It. Things like Milling Volumes (so they know where not to put the vice/fixture) and Coord Systems, so they know where to zero the machine. This should not be difficult.

The only problem I can see is getting ProE to produce Drawing Views of the part-machined component, so they can see where to locate things for the second op. There is a thread here Pro/ENGINEER Forum: Multiple OPERATIONS in Vericut - howto?,
    which describes something like this in Vericut, but that is(?) a standalone application, so the parametric link is lost and the drawing would then become "dead"- impervious to any updates to the Part or Process.

If I describe the learning process in detail, it may help someone else. If I am boring the pants off everyone, please tell me to stop!

Hi,

Maybe use the 'material removal' feature to show a workpiece partially machined? You can link those to various NC sequences and suppress them as needed. Would do things for you?

Cheers,

Steven

We've been using Pro/Mfg since since 1992. Over time we've become very cautious about material removals. Basically we avoid them like the plague as they create problems with circular references & other issues we've run into. We use them mostly on our turning applications to influence things like OD/ID turning/grooving sequnces. Very rarely do we use them for milling. That being said & in all fairness, most of our milling is near net shape work. We do a lot of trajectory & holemaking sequences. Very few volumes & hardly any pocketing, roughing, surfacing, etc... where material removals can be helpfull & even necessary to drive subsequent toolpath. Attached is a pic of one of our setup drawings, parametrically driven from the Mfg model. The instructional notes are manually entered as well as the zero locations. These are created from a start model which is very dated. We should re-do them & enhance them with updated functionality). I'd highly recommend creating a start model (template) & make it as automated & robust as is practical & necessary. There is so much more informational functionality available now beyond what this example contains.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails setup.JPG