586,485 active members*
2,052 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > About to try carving my first Edge Lit Acrylic Sign
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    What cam package are you using for your work?
    I currently use MeshCam, Vectric's Cut2D and Vectric's Photo VCarve for all of my mechanical magic.

Currently using V Carve Pro for this.. But I have Cut 2D, and Photo V Carve..
    Haven't played with Photo V Carve a lot yet..

Cut 3D is in my future, but I may get meshcam as well in the interim...

Once funds make sense, I plan to get Aspire.. But that's probably at least a year off...

Yes Aspire, the Holy Grail of CNC enthusiatists everywhere.
    I need to complete my number 2 machine first before I can afford to get that software.
    I do like the looks of Cut 3D also, MechCam is great for the price but my only problem with it is that is does not include a cut preview so you cannot easily spot errors or problems before you start the cut. Although Robert at MeshCam does offer a cut previewer at an extra cost. MeshCam is easy to use and you can also bring in 2d dxf files and jpg, bmp and other raster files in addition to stl and obj files which is kind of cool.

The big limitation with meshcam for me is the inability to bring toolpaths from it into VCP.. Cut 3D allows me to model in my 3D app of choice, then bring the models into Cut 3D and create toolpaths which can then be brought into VCP (or Aspire) and integrated into a V Carve project...

Now that you have done this and can look back, do you see any need for your trepidation and hesitation?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    The big limitation with meshcam for me is the inability to bring toolpaths from it into VCP.. Cut 3D allows me to model in my 3D app of choice, then bring the models into Cut 3D and create toolpaths which can then be brought into VCP (or Aspire) and integrated into a V Carve project...

If your 3D app of choice can output an stl file then all you need to do is run the tool paths on your model.
    And yes none of these packages work together as they are all proprietery.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Now that you have done this and can look back, do you see any need for your trepidation and hesitation?
    Not from this.. But I can from my only other attempt at cutting plastic.. The breaking of a $30 bit...

That one hurt... :rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
    If your 3D app of choice can output an stl file then all you need to do is run the tool paths on your model.
    And yes none of these packages work together as they are all proprietery.
    But I can't 'integrate' them into VCP..

Check out Machinist 3D.. Free from Vector Art 3D... Creates tool paths that can be imported into VCP.. But if I want to modify their 3D files, I have to use stl to modify them in Cinema 4D... but machinist 3D will not accept stl.. has to be in Vectrics proprietary format... which means I then can not create toolpaths for VCP...

Cut 3D is the bridge I need for this...

Not from this.. But I can from my only other attempt at cutting plastic.. The breaking of a $30 bit...

That one hurt... :rainfro:
    I guess it is all a matter of perspective and experience. I killed a $20,000.00 lathe before. Machine mechanics (2 of them) worked on it for over 6 weeks almost daily and never got it working reliably again.

Keep makin' chips.

I left my pendant laying on the table at work. I heard the router stop and went to check on it only to find a 3/8" router bit stuck in the middle of it. That's what happend's when your work in 3 different department's at once!

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I guess it is all a matter of perspective and experience. I killed a $20,000.00 lathe before. Machine mechanics (2 of them) worked on it for over 6 weeks almost daily and never got it working reliably again.

Keep makin' chips.

Looking forward to the day when $30 bits breaking don't hurt so much...

I'm starting to make money with this thing, so it's a matter of becoming more efficient with my time... Gotta get that sander finished.. Hopefully the weather will cooperate some and I can start welding up the frame this weekend...

Once that thing is operating, it will make a huge difference in time consumption with the wood carving and finishing.... and I also expect an improvement in quality of finished product......

Pendent - The remote control for the machine....if you have one.

Looking forward to the day when $30 bits breaking don't hurt so much...

I'm starting to make money with this thing, so it's a matter of becoming more efficient with my time... Gotta get that sander finished.. Hopefully the weather will cooperate some and I can start welding up the frame this weekend...

Once that thing is operating, it will make a huge difference in time consumption with the wood carving and finishing.... and I also expect an improvement in quality of finished product......
    Did I hear you say sander? What you building over there? I could use a new sander!

Nice..

What bits, feeds, speeds, and DOC did you use on them?

How thick was the acrylic?
    The ones I posted are all acrylic 0.22", the bit was an Bosch 60 degree bit, speeds were only 30ipm and the depth of the cut was at 0.1", I cut them in reverse from the back so the front was nice and smooth.
    I did try other bits like some glass bits the have 2 blades, these were meant for etching glass (Harbor Freight), they worked ok but not as good as the 60 degree bit.
    This info is a little late for you now seeing that you have come upon a recipe for your machine.
    Keep up the good work,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jjacstcy View Post
    Did I hear you say sander? What you building over there? I could use a new sander!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodwo...um_sander.html

Looks very nice!

Here's a picture of one of the signs I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-02-29 20.03.07.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 12