586,077 active members*
3,767 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Journeyman 325 - Cannot Send / Load RS232

Journeyman 325 - Cannot Send / Load RS232

My thread died and I still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong so here goes again... We have a Tree Journeyman 325 SN 9-25-85-5596 with a Delta20 equipped with a 25pin RS232 connection. We have been able to successfully Record from the machine. But we are not able to Load to the machine. Jagardner and underthetire have been very helpful and I used the lightbox they recommended to confirm the following pin jumpers:

2-2
    3-3
    4-5
    6-8-20

I have used both Hyperterminal and a freeware version of DNC Precision to no avail. I've changed every conceivable setting I could and back. I have a text file with a simple code in it saved as TEST.txt. In D20, I select LOAD - LOAD PROGRM. In Hyperterminal, I select Transfer - Send Text File and select TEST.txt. The D20 continuously displays BUSY LOADING. No text displays or scrolls down in Hyperterminal. I know it's something simple, but I haven't figured it out - let me know, thanks again.

The control should be toggling the CTS (Clear To Send) signal on pin 5 of the 25 pin connector on the CNC side. In other words, when you press the key to load a program and the display says 'Busy Loading,' this is when the CTS signal should go from low to high, indicating the control is ready to receive data. I don't have my documentation with me, so this signal may jump high just entering the Load mode, but at any rate. If the CTS signal is high and the control says 'Busy Loading,' the control is "listening" to the receive line.

Hyperterminal should automatically display text as it is sending. One trick is to pull the connector off the computer end and send the file with nothing connected. If you see text scrolling, then you've got the program nominally set up correctly. If, when reconnected, you can't get the text to scroll up sending, then the CTS signal isn't being seen by the computer. To just load programs, you could jumper CTS to RTS (Request to Send) - pin 5 on the DynaPath to RTS on the computer. RTS should be on pin 7 on a 9 pin connector.

BTW, how many pins on your connector on the computer side? Usually computers have 9-pin serial ports. 25-pin connectors on a computer are usually a printer port, which is parallel. Only very early computers (usually desktops) had 25-pin serial ports.

Once you get hyperterminal scrolling and CTS high, if the control still says just 'Busy Loading,' you've probably got a blown receive line on the hardware. You wouldn't be the first.

Where are you located? If you are close, I'll be happy to try to help.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by NS SkyDynamics View Post
    My thread died and I still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong so here goes again... We have a Tree Journeyman 325 SN 9-25-85-5596 with a Delta20 equipped with a 25pin RS232 connection. We have been able to successfully Record from the machine. But we are not able to Load to the machine. Jagardner and underthetire have been very helpful and I used the lightbox they recommended to confirm the following pin jumpers:

2-2
    3-3
    4-5
    6-8-20

I have used both Hyperterminal and a freeware version of DNC Precision to no avail. I've changed every conceivable setting I could and back. I have a text file with a simple code in it saved as TEST.txt. In D20, I select LOAD - LOAD PROGRM. In Hyperterminal, I select Transfer - Send Text File and select TEST.txt. The D20 continuously displays BUSY LOADING. No text displays or scrolls down in Hyperterminal. I know it's something simple, but I haven't figured it out - let me know, thanks again.
    The pin out I have is very different. Pm me and I can help

jagardner,
    I will have to double check, but I think the CTS goes high when you select LOAD or RECORD, but I will double check which pin when we start the machine again. When I send using Hyperterminal, the text does Not scroll down the screen like it does when you receive. I will try to send in Hyperterminal without a cable hooked up, but I have never seen it scroll the text when sending (even with the baud turned down to 100).
    There are 9 pins on the computer. We bought a 9-25 pin adapter cable (it is not a Null adapter).
    I'll try to get Hyperterminal to scroll text sending and then jumper a high signal to the CTS to see if that works and report back.

TODD, We're located at Smith Mountain Lake, VA or southern/central VA.

85burban, PM'd you back

Thanks everyone, I'll keep this updated.

Greetings-
    I'm using a 9-25 Null cable. Well, I'm in Indiana,thus, too far for me to drive to help!
    Todd

Well, it has been a few days. Is it resolved? Have you tried a null cable yet? I really hate to see unresolved issues! Let us know how it is going. From what I've read you need to try null. Also, maybe post the actual file you are sending so that we can be sure it isn't something in the actual file.
    Todd