586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Torchmate 2x2

Hello everyone! My first post on this forum. I found this site during a Google search for more info on the Torchmate 2x2. I just purchased this unit thru the "Money Matters" promotion a few days ago and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Anyone got some feedback, good or bad on this machine? I own a small Drag Car fabrication shop and bought this looking to make my own tabs, 4-link brackets, and other various small pieces for cars we build. Till now I've either bought from other larger chassis shops or hand made my brackets and tabs. How good is this machine at cutting holes in like 3/8" dia. and up? Can you keep them round and fairly tight tolerance wise? It comes with the Lincoln Tomahawk 625 Plasma cutter. I'm just wanting to make sure I'm getting a decent unit for the cost. I seen these at work during the PRI show in Orlando and hope it's all it appeared to be. I don't have the budget for machines costing $10,000 or more and don't have time to try and build my own. Thanks.

The 2 x 2 is a good little entry level machine. Biggest problem is that you will need to cut your plate (which normally comes in 4 or 5 foot width) to fit on the machine.

Upgrades you can do.....put on a better plasma (Hypertherm) and upgrade to the AVHC torch height control. Good hole quality and consumable life are a combination of a good plasma torch design, accurate pierce height and cut height (height control) and good motion control.

I use a Hypertherm Powermax45 on my Torchmate 2x4 machine with AVHC.....holes are very nice.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Rcecarbldr View Post
    Hello everyone! My first post on this forum. I found this site during a Google search for more info on the Torchmate 2x2. I just purchased this unit thru the "Money Matters" promotion a few days ago and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Anyone got some feedback, good or bad on this machine? I own a small Drag Car fabrication shop and bought this looking to make my own tabs, 4-link brackets, and other various small pieces for cars we build. Till now I've either bought from other larger chassis shops or hand made my brackets and tabs. How good is this machine at cutting holes in like 3/8" dia. and up? Can you keep them round and fairly tight tolerance wise? It comes with the Lincoln Tomahawk 625 Plasma cutter. I'm just wanting to make sure I'm getting a decent unit for the cost. I seen these at work during the PRI show in Orlando and hope it's all it appeared to be. I don't have the budget for machines costing $10,000 or more and don't have time to try and build my own. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The 2 x 2 is a good little entry level machine. Biggest problem is that you will need to cut your plate (which normally comes in 4 or 5 foot width) to fit on the machine.

Upgrades you can do.....put on a better plasma (Hypertherm) and upgrade to the AVHC torch height control. Good hole quality and consumable life are a combination of a good plasma torch design, accurate pierce height and cut height (height control) and good motion control.

I use a Hypertherm Powermax45 on my Torchmate 2x4 machine with AVHC.....holes are very nice.

Jim Colt
    So am I to assume the Tomahawk 625 and Machine Torch that comes with the system I purchased isn't very good or not good enough to do a good job? I also own a Parker Metalworking 40A Plasma Cutter that I'll be using to cut down sheets of steel to sizes that will fit the 2x2. Does the AVHC make a considerable difference and do you have any idea how much that upgrade costs? Thanks.

The Lincoln plasma will cut.....however you will have shorter consumable life and more variability in regards to edge taper. You mentioned getting good quality holes.....and chassis parts generally are hole intensive parts. This is where the better plasma systems will shine.

Hole quality depends on: 1. Proper pierce height, 2. Proper pierce delay time, 3. Proper cut height., along with a properly designed part program (lead ins, lead outs, cut speed, etc). You cannot accurately control pierce height and cut height by hand for every hole. A height control can. The AVHC adds about $2600 to the system. Over time it is worth every penny....and then some.

I suggest you just get familiar with what you bought. You will have learning curve time with the software, will flub a few parts. As you get better with the parts design and the cutting you will see the need for improving your process.

Jim Colt

So am I to assume the Tomahawk 625 and Machine Torch that comes with the system I purchased isn't very good or not good enough to do a good job? I also own a Parker Metalworking 40A Plasma Cutter that I'll be using to cut down sheets of steel to sizes that will fit the 2x2. Does the AVHC make a considerable difference and do you have any idea how much that upgrade costs? Thanks.

Depends upon the size of the part

I'm a hobbiest/inventor, so my quality expectations are low. But, I've been able to squeeze out decent cut and edge quality for small parts using a retrofitted Harbor Freight plasma cutter. You definitely need to experiment - systematically - to determine how to coax decent cuts from the cutter. The 2X2 only limits the stock size, not the precision or X-Y control. There are many variables to tweek. For small enough parts to fit in the 2x2, a water table will minimize distortion to lower the need for an AVHC. I spent a lot of time building a cart structure and stainless steel water table and pump system to make that process quick and simple. Smaller parts are easily cut with little variation in edge quality. Larger parts require some experimentation to minimize material distortion, and thus driving the need for an AVHC.

Here is a link to a relatively thin part I designed that had a number of fine details: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvwvZBty6ec&list=UUEUY7wUgGMF3zCWbT8U5uCA& index=4&feature=plcp]Torchmate 2x2 Makes Precise Cuts for Webcam Box - YouTube[/ame]

I'm designing an indexing system that will allow you to insert larger pieces into the 2X2 and incrementally index them through the unit. That would allow any part that is less than 24" wide to be made simply by drilling 12"-spaced holes along the edge of the stock.

My advice is be patient & dont settle for the cheapest option.I was on this site well over a year gathering info before deciding what to buy. At the later stage I considered the 2x2 myself. Once I added cost of a better torch and height control ,i thought to myself - might aswell spend a little more and get one of the 4x4 setups thru whoever.

My next step was gather manufacturer names and search search search for complaints.I wanted to see people's longer term reviews.Do a search on here,the forum in general, and it's pretty easy to dig up complaints.

I wasn't in the over $10k budget either but in the end saving up and waiting a little longer to get a machine was worth it to me.

I have had 2x2 for over a year and a half now. It is a great little machine for it's size. Worst thing about a 2x2 is having to break down a 4x8 sheet into 2x2 pieces. I dont have a large power metal shear, that would make breaking down a large sheet a piece of cake.
    I run a Thermal Dynamics 52 on mine and have it working well. Auto height control will prolong your consumable life but it isnt required with the small 2x2 as your hand can reach the manual torch height adjustment dial anywhere in the tables range.
    You will quickly learn you want a larger table. There is a steep learning curve with cad s/w. You will make plenty of mistakes but dont let that turn you off. You will get it.

I have a 2x2 Torchmate and have my 4x8 sheets sheared to 2x4. I then slide the sheet into the 2x2. To make this work I cut squares from 1/4 inch flat bar, drilled a hole and then added them in each corner as risers/spacers to allow the 2x4 sheets to fit through.